Prenatal appointments - peeing in a cup

My first pregnancy which was 2 years ago, I was made to pee in a cup every doctors visit. I think I went monthly until 32 weeks and then every two weeks until 36 weeks, then weekly.

Now I'm in a different town. They wouldn't see me until 12 weeks, have only taken my pee once at 12 weeks and have me going monthly until my schedule c-section. (I'm going in at 24 weeks this thursday)

Does this sound wierd to you, or is it normal?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 1:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yeah, because they check for things like UTI's and protiens in the urine....stuff that can signal a problem either with you or baby. My ob takes pee everytime i'm in there as well.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Yes....so it's NOT normal that my doctor hasn't taken my pee in 3 months?
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• your doctor should be taking a urine sample at every visit to check for protiens an sugar and UTIs so therefor by your doctor not doing 1 is NOT normal
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 1:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My question was confusing...I can't figure out how to edit it....

I feel like the doctor in this new town isn't checking enough...Is it normal to not be peeing in a cup, not be seen more often toward the end, and not to have her check my breasts for lump in the initial exam? There is only one clinic in this town, but do you think I should switch doctors?
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I say switch doctors! They should be taking it everytime you go in. Same with blood pressure, hearing the baby's heartbeat, asking if you feel movement....if anything's changed in activity of the baby....and so on.
    CAGirl4

Answer by CAGirl4 at 1:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• They are listening to the heartbeat, but everything else is coming up short. I really loved my old doctor who is in a town about an hour and fifteen minutes away. I keep thinking about commuting up there.
    I haven't heard anything good about the hospital here and I'm getting really scared. Especially since the prenatal care doesn't seem good, and now I have to trust them to cut me open? YIKES!
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 1:36 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• yes I would change doctors..but most doctors dont do to breast exams on pregnant women atleast my doctor doesnt..My doctor does urine,blood pressure asks questions how am I feeling if the baby is moving ect listens to the babys heartbeat and towards the end he sees me every week from 36 weeks til I deliver before 36 weeks its bi weekly/fortnight
    angelluvgoddess

Answer by angelluvgoddess at 1:38 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• my doctor with my son and this baby only take my urine once, and thats to confirm pregnancy soooo... maybe i should switch lol
    joycegina

Answer by joycegina at 1:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• its the same routine for me as well when i go to a visit
    -pee
    -weight
    -BP check
    -babys heartbeat
    -how big your uterus has grown(measured)
    -and uestions or concerns
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Yes they should be checking your pee every time you visit, as for going more often I personally think it is a waste unless something seems off. They test the urine every time for protein and sugar which are signs of pre-e and GD
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 3:32 AM on Jun. 13, 2010