Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

could this C-Section have been prevented? LONG

ok so i translate for some pregnat women who cant speak english( i go with them to their appts)
so i was translating for this lady and she has 2 kids alread 1st-delivered vaginally @15yo.The 2nd-delivered via c-section due to the chid being breech position.
So this baby was her 3rd. She was due April 27th and the Dr. checked her the 26th and said she hadnt dialated at all.Since he was going on vacation and didnt want to leave her "like that" he went ahead and made the decision to do a c-section on the 28th.(they checked her that morning but she still hadnt dialated)so they did the c-section.
We asked if she could wait another week and he said he would rather go ahead with the c-sec. because if he left another doctor would do it what do you think could it be prevented?what would u have done?

Answer Question

Asked by lhernandez7208 at 2:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

Level 10 (406 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Of course that could have been prevented! I would have waited and let the baby come when it was ready, not because Dr. was going on a vacation! According to my Dr. women that had a previous C-sec due to the baby being breach are usually very good candidates for a VBAC.

    Answer by Blueliner at 2:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

  • Well since the baby was so close to the due date I feel it was ok. However, the choice should have been all hers. Did she want to try to have a vag birth the 3rd time? Or was she planning on have another C-section? Also was the 2nd birth breech and late or had some other complication? Usally they can turn a breech if they need to was there anything else? I do know that after a C-section doctors really do push you to just have another one. Things can go wrong and doctors never like to play the odds. I was resently at a birth that was a vag after c-section and they were so worried that something would go wrong they actually put a small camera in side her to catch the scar on the inside so it did not tear open. The birth went with out a hitch even though the doctor and staffed seemed to be a little worried. I can see where someone would think that the doctor was pushy or what the heck! That is how c-sections go the doc sets the

    Answer by Sarahedger at 2:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

  • the date

    oh and I think it is great that you help Latina's that way!!!!! Big hugs to you!!!!!

    Answer by Sarahedger at 2:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

  • she REALLY wanted a vaginal birth.I also think the doctor pushed it because of the vacation.I felt TERRIBLE afterwards,
    her c-section birth was because of the breech, the baby wouldnt turn i guess there wasnt any more complications.
    what i TRIED to tell the Dr. that im SURE she would dialate when needed since she ALREADY had a vaginal birth but he DIDNT listen

    Answer by lhernandez7208 at 3:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

  • What would i have done? As long as my baby is full term then I'll go for a c-section. I've had 2 c-sections and I would never go for a vbac anymore. It's scheduled, there's no labor pains, baby comes out with a perfect head and unstressed, and I just prefer a c.

    Answer by LavenderRose10 at 4:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

  • I agree that it probably could have been prevented but it was her choice in the end.

    I have only had one child and it was by c section because of medical complications that made it necessary to deliver my son 3 wks early. Before I consented to the c-section I asked every nurse and doctor if there was an increase risk for my SON if I had the c-section, they said no of course just more risk for I chose to go ahead with it.


    Answer by tntmom1027 at 4:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

  • i would have refused the c-section. but then again i interviewed a bunch of providers at the beginning of my pregnancy to make sure i didn't end up with a horrible person like that. :(

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

  • i feel the doctor was just being lazy. she wasnt even past her duedate which can be 2 weeks before or 2 weeks after the estimated due dute. That was really awful that he pushed her into that. the doctor should be reported. if there was nothing wrong with her or the baby it should have been left alone. he just didnt want to be interupted on his vacation.

    Answer by sam123333 at 11:54 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.