What are some reason why parents smoke in car with there children even though they know they are putting there child at health risk?

Being very serious here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• Unfortunately, I have family that does this. They just don't understand the harm they are causing. They don't have the self control to stop themselves.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• simply because they are selfish...they're killing themselves so who cares about anyone else right?? The smokers can give whatever excuse they want and Im sure there will be plenty here, but Im being honest....."i can't quit", wah wah wah...plenty of people quit cold turkey and never look back, but that takes a strong person and they are prob very WEAK if they are putting their own child at risk.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Selfishness/addiction.

I love my mother with all my heart, & in just about every other way she was a "my kids come first", Do anything for us type of mom. but regardless of all that, i have memories (mommy issues) because i remember holding our shirts over our faces saying, "Mommy, we can't breathe back here, please put it out/roll the windows down more" (she'd have the window cracked open an inch & act like she was doing us a favor) She would respond with "Oh, quit whining, it's not that bad"
    Also, being sick with strep throat & coming out in the living room for a change of scenery after being confined to my room for days & again, "Mom, I can't breathe, do you HAVE to smoke in the house?" "Yes, i do. If you don't like it you can go back in your room:"

Talk about feeling like you aren't important to your mom. She didn't give a damn that I COULDN'T BREATHE! I think it should be considered child abuse, personally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Selfishness and stupidity.
    Blueliner

Answer by Blueliner at 2:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Totally agree with Callie
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:35 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• It's easier to continue with a bad habit than it is to change said habit, regardless of the reasoning.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:43 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• its absolutley sickening, i smoked for ten years before i got pregnant with my first and havent touched a ciggarette since then, the guilt is too high, we owe them more than that
    emleejanedom

Answer by emleejanedom at 5:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• It's an addiction. I'm being serious here, and I'm not bashing people who smoke, or anything like that. But it boils down to this - they crave it, just the same as an alcoholic craves a drink, or a junkie craves a fix. They tell themselves "it's just one cigarette, what harm can it do" - just like, again, an alcoholic says "it's just one drink" or a junkie says "well, I can quit anytime..."

I don't think they mean it to be selfish, or that they don't care, or anything like that. They just don't think about it, and their body craves it, so....

btw - NOT all smokers do this, just like not all alcoholics drink and drive, or all junkies live on the streets, or.... But, just speaking of the ones that do - this is why I think they do it.

ps - Ironically, my mom, who is an RN and works Hospice care, is a chain smoker who smokes in her car and her house. She's addicted.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Stupidity.
    wildnwonderful

Answer by wildnwonderful at 7:38 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I was a nurse and a smoker. To those of you who do not smoke...good for you! As a smoker, I agree that it is dangerous and harmful to myself and others........but I do not feel selfish. I do not smoke in my car with anyone in it. I do not smoke inside my home. But I have anxiety/panic attack issues and smoking helps these. It's no more dangerous to me than taking medication with bad side effects. And like everything else, you cannot lump everyone together. It's like saying everyone who has a drink is an alcoholic, which is not true. Yes, it is an addiction....one I wish I'd never started. I've tried everything to quit and it simply does not work.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2010