Have you bribed your teenagers with items they want to get them to do what you want?

How did it work out if you have?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:24 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• If my teens don't do their school work, than I will remove their laptops from their room and don't let them go anywhere on the weekends.
    staceynoel

Answer by staceynoel at 8:19 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Actually it works one week at a time in this house! My son did not finish a project for school and was going to get a zero and i, stupid me,,,let him stay home to finish. But I set down the law and he is home tonight b/c of it. Told him he couldnt go out this weekend with his buddys, told him he was off computer for,,forever,,lol,,,,His friend called him tonight from where they usually hang out and ds wasnt allowed to go. Oh well, better luck next time. I give consequences to actions done, before the fact. The rest is cement at that point
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• No

Answer by rkoloms at 7:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I have never given bribes. Heck, we never even gave our kids allowances. Chores were a must do.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:19 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• It has never been "if you do this you will get that" here. But having said that, if my girls ask for something and it is something special, a concert or event or something like that, they know that I will probably say yes as long as they have been living up to their responsibilities. A school project has to be done on time,period. I hate that last minute staying up late to finish stuff. But that is how one of my does it. It does get done and she is an honor student, so maybe I let that slide. But it is handed in on time.
    I tell my girls if you are fair with me I will be fair with you. But long story short, no bribes.
    wallmom1

Answer by wallmom1 at 11:59 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I ment more like making deals with them like get 3 As and you get a laptop. Or cut you hair and buy you new clothes (for boys)
    Anonymous

• No Anon :38. I didn't bribe my children to get good grades. They all graduated with 3.0-3.5 GPA's. Good grades benefited them, it was their choice to do well in school and to have futures and not my place to bribe them to work hard for themselves. I didn't bribe them to clean their rooms, I didn't bribe them to do their chores and I didn't bribe them to behave. Getting their hair cut wasn't a privilege, it was a necessity. Getting new clothes (Fall and Spring) was a necessity and not a privilege. If they wanted expensive designer clothes, they got jobs and bought their own. Until they turned 18 they weren't allowed to have their own personal computer or game system. After that they were allowed to buy their own. I also didn't bribe them with toys treats to potty train them as 2 year olds either. I told them they were done wearing diapers the day they turned 2 and just didn't bother to buy any more.
    Anonymous

• Nope, no bribes. I'm just to darned mean for that.
    Angelbluewingsz

Answer by Angelbluewingsz at 7:53 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• No. Bribes are taking the easy way out. Talk...discuss...reason with them. YOU are the parent and ,hopefully, you know more than they do. :-)
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 1:25 PM on Jun. 14, 2010