Gas Dryer

Hello!

We are moving (renters) into a house. It is across country and has "hook ups" only. The place uses both gas and electric. I asked the manager if the dryer uses gas or electric and they said it was electric. I have never lived in a home with gas before so it seems to me that the dryer would be gas...so does anyone live in a home with gas and electric but the dryer uses electric? Thanks so much!

Sarahedger

Asked by Sarahedger at 2:36 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• our last home was like that. We had gas stove, hot water heater, and heat, but the dryer was electric. We ended up installing a gas line for the dryer because the electric outlet was only a 110 volt, not a 220, so the only dryer that would work was one of those little bitty apartment ones that will dry (if you're lucky) a pair of jeans and four socks at a time.

Our new home has both hook ups in the laundry area (the basement) but two weeks ago out dryer decided to retire so now we have the 3.50 type (two clotheslines and a bunch of pins) :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 9:30 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I've never had a place with an electric dryer, and I've had 6 different places with their own laundry. One of those even had electric heat and a gas dryer.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:41 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• We have both. The dryer runs on electric. Its much cheaper.

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 8:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Electric is probably seen as cheaper but gas dries faster.
    When we moved to this house (21 years ago) there was no gas hook-up for the dryer. The people before us had an electric stove and dryer even though the furnace and water heater are both natural gas hook-up. So my dad had to put the piping in for the other appliances. Luckily the laundry room is right below where the stove was supposed to go so it worked out nicely.
    I've never had an electric stove or dryer in my life.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2010