Did or are you concerned about your childs delay?

Motor delay or speech delay. Or did you just assume they will gain those sooner or later?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My first child was born at six months and we always suspected that she could grow up with delays. Today she is four and has borderline mental retardation. She received services through the state begining her first week at home and now receives them through the school disctrict. It is because of those early intervention services that my daughter was able to speak her first words by age 3. Now, we have a son who was born at 8 months and he seemed normal until around his six month i noticed that he was not functioning as a normal 8 month old; he would not sit up and he craweld at 12months. Because of my experience with my daughter, i noticed REd Flags and called a local Regional Center for the developmentaly delayed and requested an assestment. Sure enough, my son tested in the six month age with sensory disorder and speech delay. he is receiving early intervention and it was then when we were told that he is autistic.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Yes I was concerned and I ended up being right.

I often hear other parents tell me though, "oh but he seems fine, my kid didn't talk until 4 and now he is fine," though usually it's the same kid I am already thinking gave off a "red flag for high functioning autism." If there are delays I don't see why it hurts to get addressed ? It's often free to have your county or school disctrict to a brief assessment and it helps your child get the best start in life. Therapy at this age is mostly fun for certain things too, like PT and OT...it's not like you are putting them through blood tests. I think if you have a concern better to have it looked at now. Dont' wait for the school system to intervine either on their own. They seem to not want to do anything until your child is failing....if you KWIM ?

I would find out what's normal for your child's age and also discuss your concerns with the doctor and then go from there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Today, my son is two years with seven monts, he does not speak more than two words but is doing very well. He is give much more eye contact and sits at the table for half his feeding (this is huge). My family does not understand my children and often judge me, specially my husbands aunt, but that is another topic. I trully believe that early intervention has saved my children's future life. I could'nt have done it without them.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If you have concerns, please get your child evaluated! Either your mind will be put at ease, or your child will get necessary help. Dont delay; early intervetion is always best.

Answer by rkoloms at 7:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I was concerned, he was evaluated, had early intervention services for the areas of concern, and currently he is doing very well at age three. So far we are not currently seeing any specialists for delays. Early intervention was a good experience for him. Not that we didn't have bumps along the way. For us it wasn't one of those things that eventually he would have caught up on without a little outside assistance. Perhaps he would have but I believe he did much better much sooner given the help. In a few months we may return again to additional services but we are waiting on the final outcome of a surgery.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 1:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I was concerned about my oldest, the pediatrician kept telling me "he'll be fine, boys talk later, he's very smart" Thankfully, I continued to push for an evaluation and turns out he has autism. After that, my 2nd had a speech delay - he was diagnosed with autism at 18 months, but he's now 10, completely mainstreamed, maintains friendships and is in the AG program at his school. He still has an amazing memory, but other than that, no signs of autism. My 3rd had a speech delay when evaluated at 15 months, we got a jump on early intervention speech therapy with her and by 3 she was so far above the charts there was no doubt she had caught up. So - my 2nd and 3rd probably would have caught up with no additional therapies, but it definitely didn't hurt to get the evals and the extra therapy help! (having the speech therapy, my 3rd child had much better, clearer speech at 3 than most 5 year olds!)

Answer by missanc at 10:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Neither of my daughters have any delays so far. I think my 4 year old might end up being delayed in her social skills. She is usually great with other kids but she's never been in a classroom with children her age before and she isn't as mature as her sister - which is why I got her into preschool. I had delays in my speech when I was a toddler. I had constant ear infections because of underdeveloped ear canals - I was born 9 weeks early - and I spent the first 2 years of my life almost deaf. The preschools around here are a first come first serve basis and not everyone gets in, there is a 3 year old class and 4 year old class and when I was 3 my parents were told I didn't get in because the 4 year olds had priority but my doctor spoke to the person in charge of admitting students and got me into the 3 year old class so I'd have more time to develop my speech.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:57 AM on Jun. 14, 2010