I was just on facebook and an old friend of mine didn't get her son circumsized?

She says it doesn't give the baby a choice? I hope he doesn't have to make that choice when he's 18 OUCH! Did you or didn't you have your child circumsized and why?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• I did. I researched it and talked to both male and female family members who have experience with this subject. None of the older generations were circed in my family so I talked to them. After learning the truth behind the propaganda on both sides, and taking the feeling and beliefs from people on both sides in to account, we decided it was best to do. ALL of the men in my family I spoke to who were not circed said DO IT! And so did their wives. Many people believe it's a cosmetic procedure and if it were I would not have had it done. But circing DOES help prevent infections. Boys who are not circed are at a higher risk of Bacterial, and Fungal infections as well as Yeast Infections, HPV and Penile cancer... While these may be small risks under normal every day life situations I believe you never know what the future will bring, and I would prefer cut the risk no matter what they may come up against.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:39 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• nope, because I saw how sore and distressed my sisters baby was when he was done, and I decided to not cut off a perfectly healthy part of my sons body. I agree with your friend (although I don't think it's my right to tell someone else not to) that it should be my sons choice. If he doesn't want his foreskin when he's older. he can have it removed. It seems odd to think that getting it done as babies is better so they don't have to do it as adults. Do you think a baby boy doesn't feel pain?There is alot of scaremongering to say that it can get infected and it is cleaner - absolutely no evidence to say a foreskin is any more of a risk than a nostril, but we cut them off "just in case" the vast majority of non circumsized males have no problems whatsoever, just like the vast majority of girls have no problems with periods, and a few have some issues.
    myheartx4

Answer by myheartx4 at 3:39 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• my husband is uncircumsized and felt strongly that our son should be snipped...I trusted my husbands feelings on this afterall he was never circumsized and wanted his own so to have that done,,,, but i wasn't there for it and my husband told me all about it and I felt like the worlds worst mother for it!

another thing to is a circumcision can be botched! i babysat a boy who had a a bad circumcision and it looked terriable and this kid will grow up scared for life, girls are going to see it and run..it is not good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i did but if i were to do it over or have another boy i wouldnt, and my husband isnt circumsized either, its all personal preference and really none of your business to be offended or gasp about it, oh my goodness find something better to worry about rather than worrying about what your friends decides to do with her sons private parts!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• before i had my baby boy, i was 100% convinced that i would request to have it done. I read that many STD's travel through the foreskin including HIV and that boys who are circumsized are at less risk to become infected. And with regards to it being cleaner, that if for lazy mothers who don't bother to pull the skin back before wiping. I under stand that insurance will only cover the procedure until about one month of age. After thant its an estimated fee of $1,000. With that being said, after giving birth to my baby boy, I could not go through with the procedure. It is not my body or decision, it is his, and it is his right to make his own decision.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• No, because I don't have a son. Most likely is a good thing because my husband and I wouldn't have agreed on the topic. He would want his son cut and I'd want him whole.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:08 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• To each his own if no harm is done.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 4:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

I'm not worried about it. The only reason I know about it is because she posted for all of her facebook friends to see. I'm just curious as to why? Her reasoning was for his choice...Well babies don't get choices. We have to make these choices for them. That is why we are the parents!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:21 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Why is it okay for a newborn baby to be put through the pain, but god-forbid an 18 year old feel the pain of a circumcision? That makes utterly no sense.

No, my son is not circumcised. And to the mother who talked about cleaning - you do NOT retract the foreskin to clean it - that is what causes infections. You do no more to clean an uncircumcised penis than you do to clean any other part of the body. You just wash it. No moving anything around - only the owner of the penis should ever mess with the foreskin.
    lifetimelove

Answer by lifetimelove at 5:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I did. My sis' oldest son is, her yhoungest isnt. one of my brothers is, the other isnt, my uncle has 3 boys one was, two werent, one at 17 decided he wanted to be circimsized and was in pain for a week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:44 AM on Jun. 13, 2010