my sweet neighbor is a chain smoker and my kids have asthma...

My new neighbor is a chain smoker and its effecting my kids health. We live in a duplelx buil in the 40's and when she smokes inside her unit, the smoke seems to travle to my apartment through the walls and vents. My unit is smelling like a cheap hotel room in las vegas! Anyway, I informed her that my kids have asthma and asked her to please smoke out her back window. She seems like a really sweet lady but i know that the owner does not permit smoking in the units. I mentioned her smoking to the rental company, but at the same time, what if she retaliates. After all, I have a two year lease. That is too long to live next to a neighbor who holds a grudge. Any advice?

alejandra559

Asked by alejandra559 at 3:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Relationships

• If that happened to me, I would not talk to her nor complain directly to her. I would immediately talk to the rental administrator to do something about it. That kind of thing is not allowed. The smoke goes through the vents. It ain't right. If she wants to smoke, she has to get out of the house or to her balcony. Second hand smoking can cause cancer.
    LavenderRose10

Answer by LavenderRose10 at 4:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If she's smoking in the place and it's against the lease she can get evicted anyway. I wouldn't worry about retaliation. Your kids' health is more important.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 4:42 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i will talk to the owner this comming week. it is 2am and my daughter is having a cough attack and she had not required rescue medication in over one year. We keep it just in case but this is rediculous. And my son, who has never had asthma, was diagnosed this past month. What a freaken coinsedince.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:50 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• In addition to saying something, I would get air purifiers. Those things work really well for cigarette smoke and more so they would be a good thing to have around for this issue and just to have cleaner air.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 6:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i have asthma and just a whiff of cigarette smoke can set off an attack for me. i feel so bad for your kids. :(

i agree with pps, you need to speak to the rental manager. The neighbor is surely aware of the smoking restrictions, and is therefore violating her lease. So sorry you are going thru this.
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 10:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2010