Why is he still hungry?!

lol my hungry hungry hippo is what I've nicknamed my son. 5 weeks old. eats so much.

Today for example:

8a-6oz

9a-4oz

10:30a-2oz

3p-4oz

6p-4 oz

8p-2oz with SMALL amount cereal mix

10:30p-4oz with SMALL SMALL amount cereal mix

4:10a-4oz

only 5 weeks, about 9lbs
I KNOW he's young for the cereal..lay off me. breastmilk and formula are not filling this kid up! and getting him on a food schedule has been ridiculous!
I am going to talk to his doc....just wondering if you've gone through this....thanks

Adeline1210

Asked by Adeline1210 at 4:41 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• maybe he is not hungry, maybe there is something medically wrong..talk to his doctor, ASAP. I had to change my daughters formula. it helped.
    alejandra559

Answer by alejandra559 at 4:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Some babies are just big eaters. My daughter practically lived on my breasts for the first 3 months. We did tell her ped but she said give her as much breastmilk as she wants right now. So we did. I would talk to your son's ped. It's a little early for cereal like you said so see what the doc says.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:13 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Cereal this early can lead to a whole host of issues, from disrupting sleep patterns now, through increasing your baby's risk of diabetes as an adult.

I know that breastmilk is not limited for babies; check with a health care practioner to see if this is true for formula

Answer by rkoloms at 7:08 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• dont worry. feed him when he is hungry, and if the cereal helps do it. some docs tell moms to start cereal to fatten up, reflux, it is not that bad. my WHOLE family was fed cereal as 1 month olds and we are all fine. not over weight, no stomach issues, nothing. you can feed him fromula as much as he needs.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:15 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Looks like he's getting about 30 ounces of formula/breastmilk, which is about normal as far as I know. Are you pumping the breastmilk? When DD was that age she nursed constantly- 45 minutes to an hour on, 15 minutes off, then back on. I just nursed her on demand; really little babies go through a constant growth spurt during the first few months. She leveled out a bit after around three months. I won't say anything about the cereal except that it didn't "fill her up" when we tried it on DD, it just backed her up; that could have just been because she has a sensitive tummy. It sounds like he is pretty normal, though, eating wise. I wouldn't expect him to act full, though. DD never did; still doesn't actually and she eats all the time. Babies and kids take time to learn that "full" feeling and what it means.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 8:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Probably a growth spurt. I had this issue with my son at 5 weeks too. He ate like ten ounces in two hours. lol. They slow down eventually.
    acurran88

Answer by acurran88 at 9:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Sorry but you definatly should not be giving a 5 week old cereal, way too young! I think his pediatrician would feak if you told him thats what your giving him. You should really research this that way you can see what kind of risk you taking by giving him cereal this young. Your not even supposed to offer it untill month 4-6. My guess is that hes not hungry all those times, my mom seems to think that every time a baby crys there hungry and she actually used to over feed me when I was a baby and I would spit up constantly so my pediatrician told her to back off of all the food. My daughter will be 9 weeks old tomorrow and shes exclusively breast fed but my guess is shes eating about 5oz every 2-3 hrs and Im just going off of how much I pump cause Im trying to keep my milk supply up. But you should definatly talk to your doctor cause there are so many other reasons that a baby crys other then just being hungry. GL
    LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Answer by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 9:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Sounds like a growth spurt. I would ditch the cereal.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Yea, I think cereal is a bad idea. My baby nursed SOOO often at that age. Babies go through so many growth spurts in the first 6-8 weeks. If you're nursing, you should just do it on demand. Get a sling, so you have baby on you all the time with easy access to your breast. It'll make things easier for you.
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 10:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Ditch the cereal.
    30oz of milk/formula is about right. He may not be hungry. Babies are born w/ a need to suck. This increases milk production in nursing mothers (the reason for the reflex) He may just want to suck. Is he getting the BM from the breast or a bottle? The cereal may be upsetting his stomach and increasing his urge to comfort suck. If he is breastfeeding put him to the breast and allow him to nurse. Dont worry he can control the flow and wont overeat at the breast.
    If it is all coming from bottles, try a pacifier.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 12:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2010