long or short for thick wavy hair?

My hair is pretty long now mid back. I really would like a cute shorter cut but everytime I cut it at shoulder length it looks horrible and even more thick. I know I don't want my hair cut any shorter than shoulder length. Do any of you have thick wavy hair and have a shorter cut that works and isn't hard to style?

reesemom

Asked by reesemom at 8:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• as someone with thick wavy hair who lovess short hair id recommend if u do shoulder length to have some kind of layers cut in than a blunt cut...a blunt cut will give u that triangle shape while layers will give u the ability to either straighten it or curl it..hope that helps and invest in a ceramic hair straightener if ure into that..bc it straightens faster and better...
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 8:45 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I have thick wavy hair! I also have an A-line cut.... When I get my hair cut I have my hair thinned out as much as possible and it looks great straighten. But If I go for an 40's look I gel it and I get curls that look great as well. I will agree with the top poster you will need a good straightener for stubborn thick hair
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 8:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Honestly, I haven't had much luck with this either. The only thing I would recommend is having your hair dresser thin it out.

Also, I don't know if you consider a hair straightener high maintenance but that is my favorite beauty tool and it can be used very quickly for short hair.
    Sara.Robyson

Answer by Sara.Robyson at 11:03 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My hair is very,very thick and wavy on a normal day, curly/frizzy on a slightly humid day. I used to have it thinned out w/the thinning shears in the middle when I had it cut, but this last time, I had it cut midway between my chin with some layers, the shortest being about chin length. Not much style trouble. I just spray some of my daughter's suave for kids Detangling spray on it then comb it with a wide tooth comb. It's just long enough for a pony tail and when I take the ponytail out, I don't even have that horrible pony-tail-bump on the back.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:34 AM on Jun. 13, 2010