What is this?

Do you think ADHD, ADD is just a difference in personallities? (meaning every child has a difference in personallity, one outgoing, one a bit more introverted, etc) and ODD (oppositional defience disorder) just not wanting and refusing to take a 'no' from an athority figure, strongwilled or whatever you might call it??? I wonder about these labels??? Anyone have an opinion or fact on this???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• I feel people just try to find something wrong with their children now so the can give them drugs to calm them down! Every child is different! every child learns things in a different way! giving them drug bc they should act or be a certian way is not the answer! You could say my son had ADD but i say he's a very active boy that has to be intrested to learn things thats why you make things intresting! he's very smart and is on his way to 1st grade but he's just a crazy little boy that would rather be jumping off walls than sitting at a table!
    sweetmissa47

Answer by sweetmissa47 at 9:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I believe the conditions exist, but I also believe that they are WAAAAAY over-diagnosed.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 9:56 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I agree with MamaRae.
    As someone who might have ADD I believe it is absolutely real. I can't control my lack of concentration. My mind wanders, I forget what I was doing, I have no attention span and it is very, very frustrating. I'm 33 years old I should be able to sit down to a task and finish it but I can't. I get this absolute uncontrollable urge to get up and walk around. Gah, I hate it, but as an adult I just deal with it best I can (can't imagine what it would be like for a child to have that with even less impulse control).
    And I have a dd that we suspect has ODD. There is no way it is just a personality problem. She is out of control and needs some therapy and, maybe, some meds (we'll be looking into it after we move). My 4yo is acting like her now. Do I think she has ODD? No, she's just acting out and copying her big sister. My son is super hyper but I don't think he has ADHD. He's just a boy w/ energy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I agree with MamaRae.
    My brother was diagnosed ADHD at around 9 or 10. He's 23 now and every time he winds up in jail, it's "oh, but I'm ADHD and just can't help myself, I'm sick".
    They are very real conditions but over-diagnosed and for some take away the responsibility for their actions.
    Keep in mind, that my opinion is only based on this one person though, I am by NO way an expert on the subject.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Kiwismommy, I think you are right! Too many people hoping they can find a magic pill to make their kids behave and too many people using the latest "diagnosis of the day" as an excuse.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 12:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• it is a very real condition, but i think it is really overdiagnosed. most of the time it's just kids being kids, and people are eager to drug them so they will sit down and shut up. i was one of those kids, and i like myself alot more without the pills. i do just fine without them.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 12:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You obviously don't have any experience working with a child with either of those disorders. For example, ODD is MUCH more than just being "unable to take no for an answer". Children w/ODD are really just the juvenile versions of an adult diagnosed with antisocial behaviors (ie...psychopathological killers). These kids, if not treated, WILL engage in violent criminal behaviors as they grow up. Sometimes, even w/the best therapies, these kids can't be saved. If you would see their brain scans, you would see that there are some major differencees b/t a typically developing brain & the brain of a child w/ODD. It's the same for a child with ADD/HD, their brains function differently & look different on a scan. I do agree that these disorders are overdiagnosed & it is b/c general pediatricians are not equipped to make the diagnosis, nor should they be doing so, but they do. They cater to both the demands of lazy parents & schools.
    Anonymous

• As a person who has ADD, and who has a child with ADD, I can tell you it is VERY real. I don't use my ADD as an excuse, and I don't use my dd's as an excuse for her either. However, we are not hyperactive and we actually tend to hyper-focus on things. We both get by without medication, but some days are definitely worse than others for both of us. I can also tell you that we are more prone to irrational behavior and to impulsive behavior. In the end though, it was my choice to do something stupid and I take responsibility for it.

I do agree that such disorders tend to be over diagnosed, but that doesn't mean they are not real. I would never trust a pediatrician or primary care physician to diagnose those things. A trained psychologist or psychiatrist should diagnose such disorders and only after everything else has been ruled out.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 1:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2010