Any suggestions?

How do you handle something that your child doesn't do over and over again? Like a chore or a behavior?? Do you give a consequence, another chore to do or what?? I'm tired of reminders over and over again about the same things!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• hmmmm tough one.. i would try a consequence.. maybe for example if his chore is to make his bed every day and he doesnt do it he will get something taken away from him ie a tv show he likes to watch or a privilege maybe like a sports practice or whatever he/she does or going out with friends ( im not sure of ur childs age) but whatever u decide to do make sure u follow through with the consequence or whatever u do will mean nothing bc they will figure out they can get away with it
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• How old is the kiddo? I ask DS twice to do something,, 3rd time is time out,, 4th time he has to miss something he was looking forward to,, like riding his bike,,trip to the Dollar Store,, it is finally starting to work!! Now that being said the chore is age appropriate,, he has to pick up his room,, and bring his clothes to the laundry room,,he is 5,,, is your chore too hard for you kiddo's age? I hope it works out for you!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:46 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• take away things the child loves till the work is done... good luck...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:37 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• In my house they get grounded until they are ready to actually do the chore. If that means they choose to sit in their bed and cry and pout that's their choice. They don't come out until they are ready to do their chores or whatever it was. And my oldest has sat in her room all day throwing a fit instead of spending 20 minutes picking up her toys. Her choice.
    My 4yo usually gets bored after about 30 minutes and will start cleaning or behaving or whatever.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:57 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Tell her once, remind her once, the third time I'm mentioning it, I'm taking something away. She won't feed the dog, she's not allowed to play with her, she doesn't clean her room, I do and put everything I pick up in a box and store it in my closet for a week, she won't quit running around after being told to calm down, she's in time out for 5 minutes (this one needs repeating sometimes).
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:40 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Taking away toys (in a younger child), allowance (in an older child), privileges (in a preteen or teen). THOSE THINGS WORK WONDERS!
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 2:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2010