Is having more children a way to keep a marriage from breaking up?

Apparently the more children you have the less chances for you to get a divorce. Agree?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I also want to add..

What about those of us with special needs children? Both of our children have autism. And the divorce rate is INCREDIBLY high among those of us dealing with atypical children!

However, because the relationship between my husband and I is very strong, we have been able to successfully manage the needs of our children without neglecting our relationship. If anything our relationship has become STRONGER as we have had to lean on one-another to get through difficult times, which eventually pass.

Like I said, if the relationship is truly a strong one, with a strong foundation, and there is a real commitment to each other and what is truly important, then you can weather any storm!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 10:01 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• it certainly makes a marriage harder to leave bc of the children involved but it doesnt help the problems within ur marriage...if u dont want to let let ur dh go try counseling to work through ur issues together...
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 9:02 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I think its wrong & selfish to use children as a way to keep a troubled marriage together.
    Rnurse

Answer by Rnurse at 9:06 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Disagree
    harteri

Answer by harteri at 9:07 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Disagree ... more children does not equal a happy marriage.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 9:11 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• op here....I'm not talking about the "motivation". Many single moms (once married) have only 1 child. I would think that if they had had more children they wouldn't gotten divorce. The motivation is there if you don't have children yet and thinking about divorcing you are going to do it. There is no reason to stay together.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Uh, no. I do not agree. I just makes it a much uglier divorce.
    Raine2001

Answer by Raine2001 at 9:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• sorry omit the NOT..."I'm talking about"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Disagree.

The children aren't the problem in the relationship--so having more of them doesn't fix anything! Marital problems center around financial problems, lack of communication, lack of trust, infidelity, emotional affairs, etc. None of that is the child's fault! That is the fault of the parents! Bringing MORE children into an unhealthy marriage doesn't reduce the problems, they will only magnify the problems that already exist.

If communication is difficult now, how is taxing yourself with more children going to increase the communication? Being exhausted, financially strapped, stressed, depressed, etc., is not lessened by having more dependents!!!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• No, more kids means a bigger financial obligation which makes leaving that much harder. If most of your paycheck is swallowed by child support and alimony, then there isn't enough to get an apartment or pay for a different household. Having more kids usually adds stress to an already fagile marriage and if divorse doesn't happen the kids grow up in a house where mom and dad resent each other for things that are beyond the children's grasp and they all end up as disfunctional as their parent's relationship.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Jun. 13, 2010