Milk production problems?

Did anyone have milk production problems when they got the Depo shot after having their baby? My doc wasn't the one that gave me the shot (a nurse did, while I was still in the hospital). When I went in for my six week checkup, I told her I was pumping every 2 hours and my production still wasn't going up. I pumped about 2 ounces a day. My son would scream after I *tried* to feed him until he got a few ounces from a bottle. Then he would be fine. BTW, the doc told me that in order to build up my production, I should have waited until after my checkup. Didn't tell me that until AFTER I got the shot. Thanks a lot....
Anyway, did anyone have this happen? Is it possible I was doing something wrong? And for the next kid I have (son is 1 and o longer on formula) do you have any tips?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 9:48 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• OMG you just opened up my eyes for me! I stopped producing milk around the 2nd-3rd month with both of my babies, and BOTH times I was given depo before I left the hospital. I never even linked the two together, I thought my body was just wacky! This is so interesting!! We are currently TTC our 3rd and final baby, so it will be an interesting theory to test out since I won't be getting depo this time around!
    Ctink8189

Answer by Ctink8189 at 9:51 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• lol I'm glad you read it then! I REALLLLLLLY like being on the shot, so I'd like to try building up production with my next one BEFORE I get the shot. I hope your next one works out well!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 9:54 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I found this on kellymom.com

"If you're interested in one of the longer lasting progestin-only forms of birth control (the Depo-Provera shot lasts at least 12 weeks, but effects may be seen up to a year; the Mirena/Progestasert IUD and the Norplant implant can last up to 5 years), it may be a good idea to do a trial of progestin-only pills (mini-pill) for a month or more before deciding on the longer-term form of birth control. If you find that you are among the women whose supply drops significantly due to progestin-only birth control, you can simply discontinue the pills - rather than struggling with low milk supply for several months until the shot wears off or you get the implant or IUD removed. "

It sounds like it's going to be a rough road until the shot wears off.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 9:58 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i never took the depo shot but i did have milk flow problems. so my dr. recommended Funegreek. i went from producing 10 ozs a day to producing 32 ozs a day in 2.5months
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• ooops i spelles it wrong its Fenugreek
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I didn't get the depo shot, but I do have an IUD. I got the Mirena IUD about 3 weeks ago and haven't noticed a drop in supply. I have noticed my breasts are sore a lot more, maybe the two are connected but I'm betting it has something to do with teething. I was told by one of the nurses in the hospital to either go with the pill or wait until my checkup. I didn't get it until my DD was 4 months old though, didn't need it right away, so my milk had plenty of time to establish a good supply. I was also told that progestin only birth control doesn't affect supply and can even increase supply for some women.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• oh, and if you skip the pump until after your baby is 6-8 weeks old that will help immensely. So will waking your baby if he/she tries to sleep past that 3 hour mark, day or night, for the first 6-8 weeks. Other than that, stay hydrated, eat right, and try to be as rested as possible :)
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 12:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Thanks, rhianna! btw, is that your real name? It's pretty!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 1:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• you're welcome :) and yes it is, thank you!
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i got the shot 2 days after ds was born and i had no supplies problems. i actually had an oversupply. but make sure you are drinking lots water and eating right. get mothers milk tea. its great
    piwife

Answer by piwife at 3:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2010