Can I put a FROZEN roast in my slower cooker? If so on what temperature setting and for how long?

Thanks

QandA

Asked by QandA at 10:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Last year I cooked 365 different slow cooker recipes! So I definitely know from experience that you can cook frozen roast in the crockpot. I know that many people recommend not cooking frozen meats in the slow cooker because of food safety issues. The meat may not get out of the "danger zone" and may pose a food poisoning risk. I, however, cooked frozen meats all the time and never had trouble and never got sick. The newer slow cookers seem to cook faster and hotter than the old ones. I also like to bring any liquid that you add in with the meat to a boil and then add it in as it will help the meat thaw quicker. So as long as you're not in a high risk group (pregnant, elderly, babies) I think you should be okay. Good luck! If you need more slow cooker ideas check out my blog http://www.365daysofcrockpot.com
    crockpotgirl

Answer by crockpotgirl at 12:13 AM on Jun. 17, 2010

• You sure can! Depending on the size of the roast, cook it 4-6 hours on the low setting. You can also add vegetables, potatoes, seasonings at the same time. I usually will put the vegetables on the bottom, then the frozen roast, then a packet of onion soup mix, then set it and go to work. When I get home, it is fully cooked and delicious.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• In a crock pot? I dunno. I would thaw it first but it sounds like neebug has more experience with this than i do GL :)
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:20 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I do it all the time when I forget to take it out of the freezer the night before. Pop in the crock pot and throw some veggies,seasonings, and water in and cook. For a 3-4 pound roast I usually have it in on low for about 5-7 hours.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 10:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Crock pot says to add a cup of warm liquid to the stoneware, and add 2 hours of cook time on high.
    I've done it, and I've run into a couple of problems. Hopefully if you are looking for them you will be able to fix them.
    One - frozen meat is going to release a lot of liquid. this means you will either have to drain some off when you add in the veggies, or you will get exactly the right amount, and won't need to add anything, which will be awesome.
    Two - you aren't going to be able to get a good sear on the meat. This is mostly a visualn thing, as an unseared cooked roast can look grey-ish. But also a bit of a flavor thing. The carmelization you get off the sear is so yummy.
    Three - related to two. You will have a hard time seasoning the meat. Frozen tissue doesn't hold on to salt and pepper very well, so you will need to compensate by adding extra flavor to the cooking liquid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• How I've compensated for 3 is taking a big bunch of fresh herbs (basil, thyme, sage, flat leaf parsley, chives) wrapping them in twine and tossing it in for the whole cooking time. The fragrance gets into the steam and permeates the meat as its thawing, then about halfway through cook time I add in all the rest of the seasonings I will use (bay leaves, a touch of cayenne, black and white pepper, onion soup mix).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I was totally just going to ask this same question, but about chicken! As for the roast, I'm not sure...I don't know too much about cooking myself, lol.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:55 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• yes, but you will have to cook it longer than 4-6 hours....

samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• "Three - related to two. You will have a hard time seasoning the meat. Frozen tissue doesn't hold on to salt and pepper very well, so you will need to compensate by adding extra flavor to the cooking liquid"

To solve this problem, just rinse your roast under luke warm water & your salt, pepper & herbs will stick.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 11:28 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I prefer frozen cuz i leave it 9 hours and its perfect when im home
    NIKKIANDYBABY

Answer by NIKKIANDYBABY at 12:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2010