Would you be ok if your 14 year old daughter was telling people that she was bi-sexual?

I'm not sure if she really is or is just saying that for attention. I don't want to say anything to her because I found out through snooping. I feel pretty disgusted by it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• i would talk to her about it, if she's not she will be really embarrassed.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 10:26 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I would talk to her about it as well,, you need to find out if this is a 'fad' thing or real,, and also if she is sexually active,, You didn't say what snooping you did to find out,, a text,, a note,, you could say you were using her phone,, and found it,,but I think you have to talk to her no matter what! Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i would have been freaked out to know my daughter was having sex with anyone at 14. (she was a virgin when she got married at 21)

Maybe you can find a way to bring up the subject of sexual orientation in general....maybe that will lead to a conversation about how she feels? There is always something on tv or in the news that could prompt such a conversation.

good luck :)
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 10:29 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• yea I would agree. talk to her, see if she understands the full meaning of it. and ask her why she's saying to everyone. its good to build the communication bond now
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 10:30 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Heeeeeellll no! I would not be happy if my 14 yo was telling people that she was any kind of sexual, much less bi!!!! If it was my daughter, I would sit her down and have the conversation. She is far too young to be talking about things like that. I sincerely hope she is not doing any of it! You have to tell her that this is not okay with you.

If, in fact, she is just trying to get attention, she is trying to get the attention of the wrong people. Oh, and you are well within your rights to snoop when you suspect that something is going on with your child.
    neebug3766

Answer by neebug3766 at 10:31 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I would be concerned that she was attracting attention from men in particular that would want her to demonstrate her sexuality for their own personal benefit. I would just make sure that she knows that in saying this, she is attracting that kind of attention. I would not want her to be ashamed of being bisexual, I would just try to make sure that she is still acting in a respectable way and not giving people the wrong idea.
    lowencope

Answer by lowencope at 10:36 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Most likely just a phase, but I would forsure talk to her about it. Tell her that you want her to respect herself and her body, and not just say things to get guys attention. At age 14 she is just trying to figure out who she is, and she is trying to fit in with all the other kids at school! As for snooping, maybe you should try and have a more open relationship with your daughter so she doesnt have to hide things and would feel more open about coming and talking to you about it! GL
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Well with the MSM pushing it hard, with Madonna and Britney, Kate Perry's "I kissed a Girl" and now even Sandra Bullock getting into the act....Turn off the television. Otherwise who knows where her ideas about herself and her sexuality are coming from.
    Anonymous

• I am BiSexual. I knew it when I was 14 and never tried to hide it from anyone. But I had a mother who believed being BiSexual was evil and was very abusive over my being open. Would I be okay with it? Sure. Just like I would be if she were gay or straight... You can't help who you are attracted to, why get upset over it?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:17 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't be okay with my 14yo telling people she was any kind of sexual. At 14 havign sex shouldn't even be on her mind.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:18 AM on Jun. 13, 2010