I need some ideas!

I have approximately $175 for the next two and a half weeks to spend on groceries for 3 people. I was wondering what good, HEALTHY, but fairly cheap meal ideas you'd recommend. Also, any ideas for cheap, healthy snacks? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• get some coupons girl, it IS possible! my grocery bill for a family of 4 is only $200 a month, even without coupons. Sloppy joe, Lasagna, speghetti, upside down pizza, oven almond chicken, lemon pepper chicken, tuna helper, taco's/taco salad, salsa chicken taco's, shephard's pie, hamburger helper, frito pie.
    ingredients for all- ground beef/turkey, lasagna noodles, green bell pepper, speghetti & sauce, crescent rolls, pepperoni, chick breasts, lemon pepper seasoning, slithered almonds, ritz crackers, sour cream, cream of chicken, tuna, lettuce, tomato, (whatever you like on taco/salad), salsa, mashed potatoes, corn, frito's, chili.

pizza- brown meat, drain, mix in pepperoni, put in pan, put unrolled crescent rolls on top, bake till golden brown.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• my favorite roasted pork chops with apples only 280 cal. total fat 15g
    ing.
    1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
    3 apples, such as Granny Smith, McIntosh, or your favorite variety, peeled, cored and thickly sliced
    4 pork chops, about 1/2-inch thick, boneless or bone-in
    1 tablespoon chopped fresh sage, or 1 teaspoon dried
    Salt and pepper
    1/2 cup apple cider without preservative

preparations
    Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease the bottom of a medium-size roasting pan or an ovenproof skillet with the oil. Arrange the apples on the bottom of the pan, layered as needed. Place the pork chops on top, sprinkle with the sage, salt, and pepper. Pour the cider on top. Bake for 20 minutes. Preheat the broiler and place under the broiler for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the pork is cooked through and the apples are tender, basting the meat once or twice
    ****you can also use pears...dh loves this
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 11:05 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• witht hat amt I would recommend going to someplace like Aldi's where the money goes farth. then look at their Fit and Active brand stuff which is healthier.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 11:25 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I get the bags of frozen chicken breast either the full breast or the breast tenders. I find a bag makes 3-4 meals for the three of us and they are only about $8-$9 around here. I agree with bearsjen, Aldi's is great if you have one near you.
    Frozen broccoli and other veggies are only about .90-$1. each.
    Sugar free applesauce only costs about $1.50 for six and it's made from only real apples, nothing else added (only the fruit sugar is in it).
    Buy store brands, they aren't that much cheaper than the regular brands, but put enough of them together, and you have more food.
    We usually spend about $130-$150 every two weeks for food, drinks, snacks all that for 3, but we live in Ky and I've heard that food is a little cheaper here. I do find that going by myself or w/both DH and DD (so he can keep track of her) it's easier to keep track of what I've spent.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 11:52 AM on Jun. 13, 2010

• salsa chicken tacos- 2 chicken breasts in a crockpot, pour 16oz salsa over, cook on low for about 6hrs, 30 minutes before it's done shred with a fork, and mix in some sour cream. put on tortillas and it's ready.

frito pie- put frito's on bottom of pan, pour 2 cans of chili on top, top with cheese. put in oven for about 20 minutes or until hot.

oven almond chicken- put chicken breasts in pan. mix sour cream and cream of chicken in a bowl (yes, it will look nasty lol) pour over chicken, crush about half a roll of ritz crackers and sprinkle over chicken, then sprinkle almonds over chicken. put in oven for about 30min, or till chicken's done. it may not look good before, but it's delicious!

if you don't know the recipes to everything else, just google it. or fine the recipe's group on CM. GL!
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• KiWismommy19- yeah i just moved from Ft Campbell, i'd go to the Ky side to go grocery shopping, Ky doesn't tax food, which is why it's cheaper. that and the area. i've moved back to Va, and i miss the no tax :(
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My family loves back beans and rice. I purchase a can of black beans with Valdia onions, a can of crushed or chopped tomatoes with basil. Mix the two together. Heat and make some brown rice. Yum and it is a nice amount that can last for several days.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2010