Serious question about being a vegan?

I'm 100% serious about this question. I don't really need anyone making a rude comment because it only reflects bad on you and when someone is trying to learn about something, why be smart about it?
I will amit, I have done very little research on being a vegan, but turning here first.

Question: Do you breastfeed your babies? Isn't breastmilk an animal product? Or does being a vegan not apply to you children? I'm very curious about this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Yes, there have been some VERY MISINFORMED AND UNEDUCATED vegans who fed their infants only soy milk and fruit juices. In some cases, this ended very sadly. These are the people that have helped to create such horrible stigmas about vegan and vegetarian parents.

However, vegan parents who educate themselves....actually, those who just have COMMON SENSE know that, if the mother is vegan, than the breastmilk is vegan. The primary reason that vegans do not consume milk products is that they feel it is simply not natural (unless in some starving, desperate situation) to drink another animal's mother's milk. Feeding from your own mother, on the other hand, is one of the most natural and instinctive things that we humans do. I hope that clears it up.
    KarmicChild

Answer by KarmicChild at 3:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Hmm. My first thought is that you didn't have to kill anything to get it, and you are consenting to your milk being used. Animals can't consent to being held captive and milked. I'm only a part time vegetarian though, so I may be off base.
    Anonymous

• i actually read that vegans give their babies soy milk but that wouldn't fill the baby nor give it the proper nutrients it needs. it's true, we are the human species which makes breast milk an animal product
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• ok to my knowledge being a vegan means no meat, milk isnt a meat. Now for those opposed to any animal product, breastmilk isnt animal. its a food group unto itself in my opinion....
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• humans are not an animal species lol, thats just dumb. breastmilk is a human product, it has nothing to do with animal products or being a vegan.
    Anonymous

• no no no hun haha. the difference between vegetarians and vegans is vegetarians don't eat meat but eat dairy and vegans don't eat dairy or meat(no animal products at all)
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• were you out of school for biology love...humans are animals...we're mammals. we carry our babies, give birth to them, give them milk produces by our bodies. yes we are animals
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• produced*
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 12:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• ok ty for telling me the difference, wasnt sure. I still say that breastmilk is NOT an animal product. human beings are human beings, not an animal. and as someone mentioned alot of the belief has to do with the cruelty factor. humans are not boxed in and force milked, shot full of hormones, etc.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 12:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Humans are animals!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2010