How old were your children when you stopped tucking them in at night?

When you could just say "time for bed" and they'd go to bed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• My twin girls are 10 and I still tuck them in with a story every night. They love it and it's a nice little ritual we have. I read a few poems, give kisses and hugs, tuck them in and do lots of silly variations of saying good night:) It helps them feel loved and secure and I will continue it as long as they want me too! I rock my 2 1/2 year old to sleep every night too so I have been accused of babying them ha-ha! Works for us though!

Luuckymommy

Answer by Luuckymommy at 4:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I haven't gotten to that point yet. My daughter is almost 4, so I still do bedtime stories. I suppose it'll stop when she decides she doesn't want mommy reading to her at night anymore. Hopefully that won't be for several more years.
    Anonymous

• my oldest is ten and i still tuck him in. i think it's very important for my kids to feel safe in thier bed and for me and my husband to say prayers w them and give them a hug and kiss goodnight. heck when i visit my mom she still comes in to give me a kiss on the head and tell me she loves me. i don't think there should be a age limit.
    cleo2582

Answer by cleo2582 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i agree with cleo. i still tucked my kids in til they were almost teenagers. by then, ANYTHING i did for/with them was uncool. haha
    inkydorei

Answer by inkydorei at 1:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• my son is 3 and i say time for bed and we go up together and i tuck him in and do a story...i would let it continue until he doesnt want it anymore... i mean if hes 16 and ur still reading good night moon to him then thats an issue.. but other than i wouldnt worry
    zperez0809

Answer by zperez0809 at 1:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I tuck my kids in and will as long as they like me too. They are2, 5 and 6. I never really thought about when I may stop.
    Anonymous

• I have one child who is attending college, but when she comes home I still tuck her in at night. She's 21! Once a mommy always a mommy.
    Anonymous

• Once they could climb in and out of bed on their own. We were never the "tucking in" type. My kids have been going to bed on their own since they were 2. I just tell them it's bedtime and off they go (well, they whine and throw a fit and insist they aren't tired first). Sometimes I go in and make sure they have their blankets on them but that's about it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I have just 2 at home, they are 19 and 18 and while I don't tuck them in, I do go in their rooms annd say good night to them and give them a kiss on the forehead when I know that they are getting ready to go to sleep. In a month and 2 months they'll be out of the house so, for now I will still say my good nights and kiss their foreheads and enjoy having my children at home.
    Anonymous

• I have a 5 year old daughter who asks for a bedtime story, lullaby (it changes nightly when she makes up a new one to teach me), rubbing her back, arms and tucking her hair behind her ears. I plan to do it as long as she'll let me but I was told last night that since she's starting Kindergarten in August, that she will be a "little big kid" and won't need me to anymore.
    Kind of hoping she'll change her mind on one hand, but on the other, what am I going to do with that 30 minutes every night?
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2010