HEY! We're not as Diametrically Opposed as we think!

Do you agree with him; does the media make 'us' believe the other side is more opposed to 'our' side than they are (in both directions obviously)
_______________

On cable TV and talk radio, a push toward polarization
By Michael Smerconish - Washington Post
Friday, June 11, 2010

Any conversation about political polarization would be incomplete without a look at the media's role in shaping opinions. From my view on the front lines, I have seen a rapid escalation of extreme dialogue -- sadly, something sure to guarantee high ratings. Indeed, Campbell Brown's departure from her CNN show last month marks another tombstone in the graveyard of moderate, thoughtful analysis.

I'd argue that the climate in Washington is being shaped by an artificial presentation of attitudes on cable TV and talk radio.

Cont'd below w/link

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 1:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• To view and to listen is to become convinced that there are only two, diametrically opposed philosophical approaches to the issues. And yet, working daily in both mediums, I often think that the only people I meet who see the world entirely through liberal or conservative lenses are the hosts with whom I rub shoulders.

Opinions from the middle are underrepresented, even shunned, in the modern debate.

The producer asked whether CNN could identify me as a conservative. "Well, if someone who supports harsh interrogation, thinks we should be out of Iraq but in Pakistan, doesn't care much if two guys hook up, and believes we should legalize pot and prostitution is conservative, fine," I replied.

READ please then your thoughts - Thanks!

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Of course. This is another representation of Wag the Dog.
    Anonymous

• I know the theme song. Green Day......American idiot

The whole song is about our media Don't wanna be an American idiot

Don't wanna be an American idiot
    Don't want a nation under the new media
    And can you hear the sound of hysteria?
    The subliminal mind fuck America

Welcome to a new kind of tension
    All across the alien nation
    Where everything isn't meant to be okay

Television dreams of tomorrow
    We're not the ones who're meant to follow
    For that's enough to argue

Anonymous

• Great movie & Great song!
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 1:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I agree that the MSM does frame everything as if we lived in a black and white world.

Posts that bash either liberals or conservatives are a big turn off to me. They trivialize and antagonize by categorizing. We need to cultivate a greater depth of thinking and also to contemplate what we might actually have in common, not foster polarization.

I think this is part of the scheme, distract folks to fight amongst themselves while the PTB continue to do as they wish.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:09 AM on Jun. 14, 2010