Extention of an earlier question about vaccination

OK, I do not mean to start a fight or anything, i just want to get different points of view and feedback on what information you may have.

Where I come from, very few people actually have gotten the chicken pox vaccine. There are a lot of Amish people who don't vaccinate, and most likely you'll get it from someone in elementary school. When you approach the age at which chicken pox may be dangerous, you can get the vaccination. Many many people don't vaccinate against chicken pox right away because of this. I think it's a good idea not to vaccinate against it yet, maybe later, but I'd like some feedback as to what kinds of reactions I could run into when it comes time for him to go to school (I plan to get a waiver). So lay it on me ladies!
And if I'm not opening a can of worms (don't assume that I'm considering this!), what do you think of "chicken pox parties"?

MamaRae85

Asked by MamaRae85 at 1:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Kids' Health

• I've heard that if you get chicken pox naturally, you'll be less likely to ever get it again. True? Don't worry, I'm researching it. I won't base my decisions on what any one person tells me. =)
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 1:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Sorry, but I think chicken pox parties have to be one of the most stupid ideas ever. Why would a parent purposely expose their child to a disease that can have some very serious complications when there's a vaccine available? Someone would have to buy into some serious misinformation about vaccines to think that's a good idea. I was one of those kids with a serious case of chicken pox that caused me to be hospitalized. Luckily no permant damage - but still it was a horrible experience to live through. Parents want to assume that their child will have a mild case - but that doesn't alway happen.
    Anonymous

• I've been to one of the "chicken pox parties" as a kid. I caught it then my mom talked to a bunch of her friends and we had a big party, sharing drinks, hanging out. Out of about 15 kids, only 3 or 4 caught it.
    I've also heard that you can still catch it after being vaccinated, but it's less likely and if you do, it will be a more minor case of it. But this is all from listening to other parents and memories from when I was 8 and itchy. :-)
    I am by no means an expert.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Never got the chicken pox even when exposed. I got my DD the vax really because if she got it who would take care of her? I couldn't because it could be fatal to me so I did it to protect us both since I know 3 of my cousins had the chicken pox soooo bad my one cousin had them all in her mouth!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• One side effect from getting the chicken pox naturally is shingles later in life. My grandfather had shingles and it was extremely painful! I think there's a chance you can get shingles if you get the vaccine too - but it's a much more mild case.

As for parties - I know my kids would perfer a one-time shot than a week of itching and pain and being trapped inside. And if they went to a party wouldn't you have to basically quarantine your child for a few days until you knew for sure whether or not they had the chicken pox? Otherwise, they're out and about potentionally exposing others (who may have a much bigger risk for complications). I mean you couldn't let them play on the playground, swimming pool or go on errands with you because they could pass it on to someone who would be in big trouble if they got it. LIke someone said earlier, you can't assume everyone is going to get a mild case.
    Anonymous

• Chickenpox went through our neighborhood twice when I was a kid & neither I nor my brother ever caught them. So, when I had my own son, I chose to not get the vaccine (it was very new at the time), thinking I'd rather he got them naturally or maybe he'd be immune like the rest of my family (parents never caught it either). Well, pressure from the pedi & I changed my mind. Shortly thereafter (like within a couple of days), my son became lost in autism. He was 4 yrs old & forgot how to speak, started having seizures, was no longer interested in the rest of the world. He had no fever, no sickness, no nothing except that shot. Yes, I regret him getting that shot & I refuse to let him get a booster b/c they've discovered that you need one after 10 yrs to maintain the "protection".
    Anonymous

• Anon 6:30 - Don't be upset or have regret. The scientific evidence does not support the idea that any vaccine causes autism at all. So you did nothing wrong. Your son didn't forget how to speak - it's just his mind is wired differently than other minds. He's different, not lost. I know that there are many challenges and difficulties with having a child so different and you may need to morn the child you thought you might have. But hopefully you accept your sonfor the person he is (not who you hoped he'd be) and understand that different is not broken.
    Anonymous

• Anon 6:30 there are many medical conditions like Tay-Sachs disease or schizophrenia which are genetic but appear to have a sudden onset after normal development. Genes are turned on and off in stages throughout our lives. Like how schizophrenia typically hits people in early adulthood it's not because they are allowed to vote that induces the disease. So just because your child had a chicken pox vaccine around the time you started to notice his autism doesn't mean that the vaccine caused the autism. Perhaps your child showed signs of autism earlier, but you were not aware of them. The parents of autistic children frequently use compensatory strategies to engage autistic children. Scientific evidence indicates that vaccines do not cause autism.
    Anonymous

• My stupid ex SIL let her son come and play with my then 2 yr old and didn't tell me until afterward that he had the chicken pox. I was livid! My poor son had them so bad they were in his nose and crack of his butt etc. He was so miserable. I would never put my child through that if I had the choice. My 4 children since him have all had the varivax and we had no side affects. My experience!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2010

• That's pretty much my viewpoint, salexander (by the way, that's my son's name! without the 's'). I can't imagine purposefully getting him sick with something that could potentially be very painful!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 3:43 PM on Jun. 18, 2010