can I give my 9 month old organic white or chocolate milk?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 1:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• why not?
    Anonymous

• The child has to be a year old before you offer cows milk.
    mommyofJames512

Answer by mommyofJames512 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• 1 year is the rule. I wouldn't.
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:32 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Then why is it that some people offer it younger and nothing happens?
    Anonymous

• Most parents I know in the real world, not "computer land", started their kids on milk around 9-10 months. We've always looked at the one year thing as a guideline, not a hard and fast rule.
    So far, I've not seen any adverse reactions or problems with any of the kids, and they currently range in ages from 2 years to 30 years. If a problem was going to show up "later in life" due to starting milk early, it would have presented itself long before age 30, in my opinion.
    But, like most moms on here, it is all opinion and past experience. I'll be the first to say I'm not a doctor or expert.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• There's no law against it. I wouldn't give him a full cup, though.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 2:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You can, but it's best to wait. Yes, your baby might be fine. Or, your baby might suffer from gastrointestinal pain. Or, develop an allergy. But mostly, your baby will drink less formula or breastmilk because he/she filled up on cow's milk. Cow's milk does not contain the necessary nutrients for an infant under the age of 1, so by giving it to her/him, you are taking away important nutrients. But yeah, your baby will likely survive if you do.
    Anonymous

• No.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Never any reason to give your baby chocolate milk. White is perfectly fine... but it is best to wait until they are one. Of course many don't- but you really want their stomachs and intestinal tracts to be as old as possible before having to process cows milk. It is really a complex substance- and systems that are not ready, will not be able to pull out the nutrients as well as those who are older.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2010