Do you think I can do this cake the night before...

and still have it be decent the next day? It's a bday cake and want it to be a surprise.

http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/treasure-chest-cake-686531/

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Oh, that looks so neat!
    If you can keep everyone, pets included, away from it, it'll be fine. We always get the cake made a day or two early for birthdays. It's just too hectic to do it that day.
    My MIL clears out a spot in the cabinet that she keeps the cans in and puts it in there w/a lock to keep everyone out of it and to keep the cats from eating it.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I think it would be fine, do what Kiwi suggests. Maybe lock it in a cabinet, covered tightly or something like that.
    I would probably put the decorations a couple hours or so before the actual party, just in case some of them got stale or whatnot. Like the wafers they suggest putting on there. That's just me though.
    That's an awesome cake!
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I wouldn't hesitate to bake and frost the cake ahead of time, but I would wait until an hour before the party to put it together and add the candies/fruit by the foot. The reason is, unless you use a crusting chocolate buttercream frosting, the candies can pick up the moisture from the frosting and get soft. You should be able to put it together in less than 30 minutes.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 4:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If I am making a complicated design on the cake I sometimes start up to three days in advance. I just clear out enough space in my frige to store the cake when I'm not working on it. This way I am not stuck consuming my entire day making the cake. I can still clean, decorate and make dinner for the family.

If you don't have a cake saver that the cake will fit in, another good storage option...if you have one of those Rubbermaid plastic storage totes. I have even emptied one out that had stuff in it, washed it well with dish soap and water and towel-dry it. Turn it upside down, rest the cake on it's board on the inside of the lid and use the storage part as the "lid".
    NikkiMomof2grls

Answer by NikkiMomof2grls at 8:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2010