nipple biting

please advise... this is painful she has teeth. uuuuggghhhhhh

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 1:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am having the same issue, no teeth yet but they aren't far off. I'm thinking about a nipple shield...
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 1:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i know this sounds bad, but when she bites it thump her on the cheek. not hard just enough to get her attention. i did this with my dd and she stopped the first couple of times i did it.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• DO NOT THUMP. That can make them chomp down and can cause breast refusal.

1. an actively nursing baby can not ite. when she's done suckling take her off
    2. when she does bite pull her towards you, this will block her nostrils and she will reflexively open her mouth, then say that hurts firmly, frown, put her down, and end the session. do not make movements that might seem like a game
    3. if teething sooth sore gums with something cold first

amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• yes, don't worry i won't hit, thump or scream at her *yes i heard that as an answer*

i have been watching her tongue like a hawk and trying to yank the nipple out before she chomps but that has been resulting in scraping my nipple on the way out or pulling out my nipple while she's eating because i'm scared.

i have been ending the session and doing something else, but it sucks cuz i know she's hungry.

cold first, will try.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 2:23 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I wanted to repeat because I know it is hard but don't pull her away from you, pull her TOWARD YOU into your breast so she opens her mouth.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 2:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I agree with amileegirl- pulling her in is more likely to work than unlatching her. I tried unlatching my daughter; it just made her mad. Pulling her in as close as possible and keeping her there throughout the entire session is how I taught her not to bite. She still nips if she is really tired, but all I have to do is pull her in close and she is fine. Pulling her in prevents her from being able to close her mouth enough to clamp down on you or bite you. Start teaching her now and it will be smoother later as she REALLY gets her teeth in.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Also, DD is old enough now that if she really gets me I say "ow" and make a sad face- it works. She gets sad and is more careful.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 3:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• First, be sure she is biting. Is it an actually chomp or does it feel like she's gnawing on you or scraping her teeth against you. If this is the case instead of an actual chomp, then you have thrush. I thought my son was biting me every feeding, but it turned out to be thrush. If she is chomping, then tell her ouch and stop briefly. If she is still hungry continue the feeding. If she chomps a 2nd time, say ouch again and end the feeding. If she's hungry you can always feed her again after a 10 min break.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 3:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• thanks, i'm sure its biting because she stops and smiles. i wasn't per say pushing her away, more like taking my nipple out of her mouth. will try the holding close.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 3:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You know she's hungry, but don't worry... you can try again in a few minutes. Don't make her wait too long. But be firm, if she does it again- back down she goes. Time for the little ones is very different than for us... waiting a few minutes will be forever in her world. Plenty of time for you to wander away and come back to try again.

Good luck, remain firm and she'll get it.
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 4:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2010