Can I be in labor having contractions every 10-15 minutes apart without my water breaking?

Tcrist

Asked by Tcrist at 1:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Yes. Sometimes it doesn't break on its own. Most of the women in my family had contractions a lot closer together and had to have the water broken in the hospital.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 1:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Absolutely. My water didn't break with my son, but I was in labor. My water broke with my daughter... and THEN I started labor.
    Go ahead and notify L&D!
    ManicMomma02

Answer by ManicMomma02 at 1:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Yes, definately! There is a crazy statistic out there that shows only 5% of women have their water break on its own. Did you lose your mucus plug?
    Mel_in_PHX

Answer by Mel_in_PHX at 1:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i was in labor for a day then my water broke then in labor for the whole next day until i had my daughter. yeah no drugs, it was hell.
    fefe87

Answer by fefe87 at 1:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Most women won't have their waters break until well into labor or pushing - some women don't actually have their membranes rupture at all and baby is born inside them. You could be in REALLY early labor right now, so I'd try and rest and make yourself as comfortable as possible.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 2:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Yep, and it's good to keep the amniotic sac in tact. I'm a Midwife and don't ever break clients' water. Some babies are born in the sac - which is a beautiful thing. It keeps the cushion between mom's bony pelvis and baby's bony head. :)

I agree - get as much rest as you can right now. You'll know for SURE when you're in active labor, and getting close. There won't be any doubt about it. ;)
    Birthkeeper

Answer by Birthkeeper at 5:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Im sorry honestly sweetie I am really not trying to be mean but I have always found it so odd that woman ask about things like this when clearly you are in labor. Maybe your a first time mom, ok but seriously? Dont sit on cafemom...call your doctor, before your labor gets so bad you dont make it to the hospital in time. this goes for all moms to be that ask questions like this, not just you. I just dont understand why people do this. Go to the ER
    Anonymous

•  

Please don't go to the ER. Birth is not an emergency. There's a reason why midwives and doctors tell you to wait until your contractions are 5 minutes apart or less and lasting a full minute before you call. This is to ensure that it is *active* labor. Contractions every 10-15 minutes can stop, or they can go on for days--it's prodromal labor. If it is active labor, you'll know. They will get more intense and closer together. As Birthkeeper said, rest while you still can. You won't be pregnant forever.  I promise. :)

jeremysmom04

Answer by jeremysmom04 at 10:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Well considering my water didn't break until my daughter crowned and her head was born during the next contraction um yes it can happen and very often does. Labor is not like what you see in the movies and on TV. It comes on very slowly and usually the water doesn't break until well into labor. Stay home and rest as much as you can and when the contractions get to wherever your doc or midwife told you (usually about 5 mintues apart) then call and head into the hospital.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:03 PM on Jun. 13, 2010