This is wierd, any opinions as to what is going on with my baby girl?

My 2 1/2 yo has relly swollen lymph nodes on her neck. Not the glands right under her jaw, but closer to under her ear on both sides. It is swollen enough you can visibaly see it with her hair pulled back. Her throat isn't hurting, she is eating and drinking and talking fine, but of anything even brushes the swollen part of her neck she starts to cry. I called the nurse line and they said wait to talk to the doctor tomorrow, but I am debating taking her to the ER. This is just wierd. Any opinions on what is going on? No fever or any other symptoms.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Health

• I would wait until tomorrow. You talked to the nurse and she said it was ok to wait, she heard all of the symptoms and gave you an educated answer. ER's are FULL of germs, unless it is a life threatening emergency, then I would wait until tomorrow.
    Good luck, give that baby some big hugs!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 2:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I'm sure it's viral. Mine gets that too. Has she been sick lately? Swollen glands by the neck can last weeks.
    Anonymous

• I would go to the ER
    bj305

Answer by bj305 at 2:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i would wait. she is probably fixing to come down with something, which means she already has it and there is not much you can do. especialy if it is viral.
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 2:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• She has not been sick lately, but she is prone to being very sick, she has a heart condition, and a very low immune system compared to the other kids.
    Anonymous

• Could be swollen from insect bites.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If she didn't have a heart condition I would say wait, but since she does have a heart condition and thus a weaker immune system, I would take her into a walk-in or urgent care clinic if at all possible. The ER should still be a last resort, though.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 2:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• It's obviously some sort of infection that her white blood cells are trying to fight off. I'd definitely make sure to get her into the doctor tomorrow.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If she has a hear condition,, and due to the fact she cries if you touch it,, I would pack up and go to the ER---You might discover the root of the problem faster this way anyway,,, the doctor will probably want to make an appointment with a specialist,,, and if you have good insurance take her,, let us know what happens,, Good luck!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i dont know much about this...but i DO know that some "on-call nurses"<--(not the Peds. nurses,but from the hospital) dont know better, my DD had pneumonia symptoms all night friday, saturday and all they kept saying was shes ok....Well i took her in sunday morning(cause she couldnt breathe well, and all they said was if the fever isnt hight dont bring her in) well i found out she had pneumonia..
    anyways...always trust your mommy instinct.
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 3:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2010