How do I deal with depression and my new born?

My son is 12 days old and I am suddenly feeling so overwhelmed. I have done nothing but cry for the last two days. I get easily upset with my son and my husband. Of course my DH doesnt understand and is always asking me "Why are you crying now?". If I knew why I was crying Id do something about it. If I pick up my son he starts crying unless I am feeding him. He doesnt cry with anyone else and this just breaks my heart. I love him so much. I feel so so alone. What do I do?

nini0315

Asked by nini0315 at 2:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's your hormones. You need to discuss these feelings with your Doctor. Your husband also needs to be helpful and understand just how serious PPD is. HUGS! Congrats on the new baby. BTW, your baby can feel your stress. That could be why he is crying when you pick him up. Relax.
    Anonymous

• First, know that you are NOT alone. There are hundreds of new moms out there feeling the same way. Recognize depression for what it is, and talk to your doctor about it. Realize that you can do something to get over it, go out, go for walks, get involved with other moms in your area and make some new friends. Ask your husband to watch the kids, and go out with some old friends, or family, to catch up without the responsibility of your child. If you ever feel that you are angry or frustrated to a point where you might hurt your child, call on a friend or family member to take over, and take a break for your sake, and for your child's safety.

When my son was born, I had separation issues. I'd spent 9 months nurturing this little boy inside of me, and we can never go back to being so close. He too cried all the time with me, but would quiet down for other people. I think it's an attention thing. Cont.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I agree with the previous reply re; your baby sensing your stress, too. CafeMom helped me through a lot of my issues when my son was a newborn, so please, feel free to ask any questions you have, express concerns, vent, etc. Here. That's why this site is here...to help moms share their feelings, learn, and network.

I am sure that you are a great mom, and will raise a healthy happy baby boy up to a wonderful, intelligent young man. Congratulations on the addition to your family, and good luck!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:07 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You really need to talk to your doctor. This is most likely do to hormones. Your body just went through some MAJOR stuff. He/she may be able to suggest things or give you something that makes you feel a lot better! Also know that many women feel this way. While I never got depressed, I did get anxiety. I finally went to my doctor after suffering for months and she gave me something that made me feel a million times better.Your son may be crying when you hold him because he can feel/sense what you're feeling. Babies pick u on that stuff easily. Best of luck, hope you feel better soon!
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 3:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My midwife suggested a Vitamin B Complex vitamin and light exercise, like walking.

That really helped me, also ask a family member to come and stay with the baby for a couple of hours. I know it is hard to ask for help, I know when I did, my family brushed me off. If you need help tell them straight out. "I need your help for a couple of hours...so get over here".

Big hugs!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I agree you need to speak with your doc and explain what and how your feeling and he will be able to help you through this. And yes also your husband needs to be more understanding bcuz you need his support now more than ever. Maybe have your husband go to the doc with so he can have a better understanding of what's going on with you and how serious it is. And your baby can sense when you are stressed out and will react on how your feeling. I know everything is overwhelming but if you TRY to relax (I know that's easier said than done) and do what you need to for you and your baby then things will get better sooner than you think. Congrats on the new baby and good luck.
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 3:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• if you're not breastfeeding try lemon balm, google it. and talk to your doc or therapist. anti depressants didnt work for me only lemon balm and a healthy diet does.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 9:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2010