Need some help... No Money & Need Options

My DH has been on unemployment since November. He is in the process of getting a new job (hopefully he'll be starting this month, but they only hire in groups so he has to wait til the next training class starts). I have a very PT job, but they have cut me down to less than one day a week. I am trying to get a second job with a local restaurant working midnights. But I am pregnant and state law requires that I tell possible employees when I apply.

This morning my DH tryed to file his bi-weekly unemp. and he was told that his benefits ended on 6/5. We had no notice. We have no money in the bank (overdraft by $.64), no gas in the car and no money for diapers.

Ive already sold just about everything we have over the last few months and once he goes back to work we'll be okay. But is there anything I can do from home that could help us bring in some income between now and then?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Money & Work

• OP Here- Sorry I ran out of room. I have no issue with home businesses, but I also don't have any money to start - NONE - so I'm thinking more along the lines of a Job. BUT, I also don't have a phone. We had to have it shut off because we couldn't afford it last month. We have internet because the neighbor is nice enough to let us use his wireless connection. Thus it costs us nothing.

What can I do? I need something, even $50 a week or so...
    Anonymous

• Hun I think you'd better make an appointment with human services and see if there is anything they can do for you until you get on your feet. It is people like you I can honestly say I don't mind helping out with our hard earned tax dollars. Hang in there!!
    Anonymous

• I think the best thing you can do right now, is to try and borrow some money from friends and family.   I would certainly try to call an agency that provides assistance first thing in the morning to see where they can lead you.    Other than that, you can try babysitting, cleaning homes and offices, etc.  

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Please call Catholic Charities and also beg anyone you know for money,,,,It could be up to a month for you to have anything coming in,,, Could you hubby Day labor until he can start his job,, you need to contact Social Services first thing in the morning and I will say my prayers for you!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• PS--call your boss and beg for some extra shifts!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• since it is summer time, sometimes a community education type of program looks for people to help teach classes or coach little kids sports like t-ball. It might help a little. Are either of you qualified to teach swimming lessons? Or maybe you are crafty and teach a craft class. Sometimes golf courses are looking for people to work there or resorts need people to clean their cabins. Just a thought.
    Anonymous

• it is the season for dog walking, and babysitting! Put up fliers. look into food pantries for foods, and apply for assistance through wic and state support. Good luck, and I hope things look up for you soon!
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 3:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i would def try social services..can dh get an extentision on unemployment..dh got a second extentsion on his unemployment last wk..
    Anonymous

• OP Here - we are looking in to an extension for his UCB but we don't know how to go about getting it...
    Also, it's hard to find odd jobs around here because it's a very small area. I have taken in my Aunts daughter a few days a week, but most people here have their kids in daycare - it's really cheap. I have tried house cleaning and such but no one has ever called me about it. My DH can't do a good bit of that kind of stuff because he has a herniated disk and a herniated kidney, so he isn't allowed to lift anything or do anything that will raise his BP...
    We also applied for PA, but they said it could take up to 6 weeks for all the paperwork to go through...

Honestly, I think had we had some notice, this wouldn't have been so bad, but it was just out of no where... We still don't know why he was cut off, he qualified for 38 weeks - this was only 26...
    Anonymous

• Something we do when we are low on money is we go donate plasma. Since your pregnant, they might now let you but DH could. The place we go to pays us $30-50 a visit and we can go up to twice a week.
    Anonymous