Wedding Reception

My SO & I are getting married next month (yay!) - we're having a backyard, casual-but-elegant barbecue for the reception. We are having grilled filet mignon, pork chops, chicken, and some beer brats as our main meal. I'm planning on doing corn on the cob with some herbed butter, pasta salad, and a green salad. What else for sides? I really don't want to do potato salad...I want something a little more elegant than that. And I need simple appetizer ideas...I was thinking a vegetable crudite...fruit & cheese platter...anyone have other ideas?

Wheepingchree

Asked by Wheepingchree at 3:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Food & Drink

• corn on the cob, beer brats... how elegant. You maybe want to check out martha stewarts website for weddings or the foodnetwork.com for more ideas.
    Anonymous

• You can do a nice salad with orange and red bell peppers, with grape tomatoes, red onion with a balsamic vinegar and olive oil dressing.
    I love the fruit and cheese platter...
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• way to be a bi-otch anon! give yourself a pat on the back!!
    Wheepingchree

Answer by Wheepingchree at 3:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Hey I think it sounds great,! what about cheesy potaotoes,, very easy! I was also think some fruit plates to go with your veggies,, your having a heavy meal so I wouldn' stress too much on the apps! Here is the recipie,, this will feed 10-12 and you can make it the night before you put it in the oven,, are you having those warmers to keep it warm? If so take off 15 minutes of cook time
    1 large bag hashbrowns--the diced kind
    1-stick melted butter
    1- large bunch green onion
    16 oz-sour cream
    1-can cream of celery soup
    salt and pepper to taste
    You can add in bacon, mushrooms, and chopped bell pepper if you want,, I make it the top way for company--you never know who likes what--but with the extra ingredients it is like a loaded baked potato!

kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Oh gosh,, bake on 350 for about an hour and I forgot to tell you 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese,,, sorry you were probably like cheesy potato? With no cheese,, LOL! Anyhoo,, enjoy your day,, and love the filet idea! Are you having chocolate cake too? I want an invite!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 3:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• wouldn't corn on the cob be a little messy for your wedding guests? It would get all over their clothes. Why not try a roasted corn salad.
    Anonymous

• Broccoli Bacon Salad, Cabbage Salad with Ramen noodles (doesn't sound special, but is always requested), chocolate dipped strawberries.

have a wonderful day!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:03 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• one of my faves and they always disappear. Thread short wood skewers with a grape tomato ,small piece of fresh mozz. cheese,a torn bit of fresh basil another grape tomato and repeat one more time for each skewer.Add pieces of large diced yellow squash or green or yellow bell peppers if you desire larger kabobs. Cover tightly and refrigerate till needed .I then add one grind of sea salt and pepper plus a very LIGHT drizzle of good evoo.   

,

drfink

Answer by drfink at 3:35 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• redskin potato salad with dijon dressing- no mayo!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 12:50 PM on Jun. 14, 2010