Do you unplug your electricals when they're not being used?

to save energy?

Melissa15

Asked by Melissa15 at 3:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• We used to get electric bills over $400 each month. We are just a family of four. Once I bought power strips and cutoff switches for EVERYTHING that plugs in, the next bill was only $215. So depending on the difference you're saving and the hassle of going to several switches every night at bedtime, to us it was worth it.
    Anonymous

• No, I'm not tiny enough to get behind things in order to unplug stuff every time I turn it off...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 3:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• We just unplug our six plug multi-plug outlet.
    Mommy2mj

Answer by Mommy2mj at 4:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• We have cut-off switches on our TV, DVD, and stereo. We cut power to those when not in use, and to my kid's computer. My DH and I work from home, so our computers are on most of the time. I do turn them off when we leave the house. When we go out of town, I unplug most everything.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 4:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• a few things but some like the microwave would require moving the refrigerator out every time so no.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 4:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• The plugs I can reach yes. I actually walk around the house right after my husband leaves and unplug everything he used and turn off all lights. He got irritated about it until I showed him the power savings.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 4:30 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I do with the smaller things that I can easily unplug. Not the tv, dvd, and all the lamps though.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:49 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• No. I turn them off and leave it at that.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 4:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Our house has tons of windows, so we have plenty of natural light, and I find myself turning off all the lights for most of the day. My husband and kids NEVER turn off the lights, or TV's, so it's up to me!

The only appliances I unplug are the coffee maker and toaster over--because I heard they can spontaneously spark and start a fire--anything with a heating element can do this.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 4:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Just the small appliances every day. I do unplug the TV sets and components and computer and modem if I am going out of town,though.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 4:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2010