Do you work out early in the morning?

I really want to start working out, but think the only time that I could best fit it in would be IF I can stay up in the morning when my husband goes to work and do it then. Problem is ~ getting my butt out of bed and doing it!!
So ~ my questions are ~ when you started working out in the morning, did you find it hard to keep motivated? And, do you eat anything before starting your workout that early? I was thinking it might be best if I at least ate a handful of almonds or half of a banana...
Any tips are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• Your food suggestions sound good before a work out. I don't usually eat but I might do that. I get up with my SO and make his lunch in the morning so I am pretty much awake. Motivation is still hard, but if I have something to look forward to it helps. For example we are going to visit my family in a few weeks and they haven't seen me for 6months and I want them to be surprised. Good luck!!!
    chrissifaye

Answer by chrissifaye at 3:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If you get up I would give yourself a little time to wake up and have a litre of water...sip on it for half an hour or so and then start your workout. I do that then go on my morning run which can be anywhere between 5 - 15 miles. If its a longer run 10+ I take some dried fruit with me and water. On any workout in the morning I come back and have a huge smoothie and pack in the calories after. This replenishes me. I really wouldnt eat anything before hand.
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 3:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Yes, the best time for a work out is in the early am hours, I do it everyday but I find it hard to eat anything before I go, what I do is take a bottle of water with whey protein powder to give me a lift.. Once you create a routine you will find it easier to get up, specially if you enjoy your work out so find one that motivates you.
    Morning workouts make your body to continue burning calories throught your day more effeciently.

Answer by older at 4:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• actually, working out in the morning is the best time of day for fat loss and its also the time i feel most motivated. i think what you said you would eat would be fine as long as you eat right after you work out. i personally wake up starving and wouldnt be able to work out until i ate. i usually eat something like egg whites and fruit for breakfast. also, i take mega-t green tea pills. i get them at CVS, they are all natural, some caffeine but not much - they give me the perfect amount of energy immediatly without making me jittery & help me loose weight alot faster.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• before i had kids, my preferred workout time was early morning. i used to get my motivation by getting out of the bed quickly, before any reasons could sneak into my head about why i should not get out of bed and go to the gym!
    i think the greatest part about going to the gym first thing in the morning is that even if that is all you do, it is still a good day!
    i don't normally eat before an early morning workout. i think a handful or two of almonds before and after your work out is a great idea! some say a bit of coffee can stimulate the fat burn.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I workout at 8am-10am monday through friday and for breakfast i have Shakeology...
    Anonymous

• i get up at 5am and jog 5 miles. it eventually just becomes a habit. now i cant even sleep in if i tried. it helps to keep all your workout clothes/shoes right beside bed so your ready to go. i never eat before i workout. you can do it. its just hard the first few weeks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:38 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• Thanks everyone for the great advice! I am determined to make this a daily habit now!!
    Anonymous