how many of you actually believe speaking in tongues?

I'm not religious but I'm also not trying to be disrespectful. I'm very open to all ideas even about religions but speaking in tongues is just something I do NOT believe. I try its a gimmick that churches do to keep people interested in coming. But I just wanted to see how many of you believe or don't. And please don't bash me bcuz I am not trying to offend anyone and not trying to start a debate. A simple yes or no and why would be appreciated. Thanks ladies!

momluvsmiles

Asked by momluvsmiles at 4:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• When something gets into a person's head that deep, they will create anything in their minds to make it reality for them. Speaking in tongues is no different from a homeless person mumbling or screaming nonsense in the streets.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 5:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• The people I saw doing it were my aunts and uncles. I had never seen it before, but they are all very genuine people. I'm still not completely sure what to think. I wouldn't rule it out as a real possibility.
    Hazelnutkin

Answer by Hazelnutkin at 4:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i watched an episode of i shouldnt be alive (true storys) on animal planet about some people whos boat got Fd up in the ocean and they were living on this raft thing, and a couple of them jumped off and died and then there was 3 left, the one had really bad cuts and shit on her legs and they were gettting infected so she was starting to die, the other two lived & they were the ones telling the story ... they said they had fallen asleep and all of the sudden they got woken up because she jumped on the guy and was basically attacking him, they pushed her off of him and then they said right before she died she was moving her hands around slowly and speaking in tounge. and they acted this out on the tv show .. it scared the shit out of me. i had nightmares for like a week. besides that i dont really know much about speaking in tounges
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I don't know how much I believe in it but I don't make judgements either
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 4:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I don't believe in the use glossolalia as a gift of the Spirit. "Speaking in tongues" is a gift given by God as a means of furthering the Gospel. In Acts 2, there was a cultural mesh of people who spoke a variety of languages. When the Gospel was preached to these groups each person would hear it in his/her own language.
    Lexylex

Answer by Lexylex at 4:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• oh that makes sense Lexy! I never heard of it that way :)
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 4:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I believe in it but not what people do today. Here is what I believe about it. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 4:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I think that the people who "speak in tongues" honestly believe that they are speaking God's language. Do I actually think they are? No. I think they've convinced themselves of the possibility and have had the idea of it so mashed into their brain that they can't help but react that way. It's kind of sad to me. It's just like believing in faith healers. I feel bad for the people that are convinced these charlatans are really doing the work of God.
    Anonymous

• *daphna288 No -one cares what you belive in- not the question posed,stick to the subject, not throw what you believe in other's faces
    Anonymous

• OP: Actually anon I DO care what she belives is. That was my whole question, I wasnted to know if they BELIEVE in this!! So don't be such a bitch. She said nothing rude or off subject. I'm sick of all the rude people on here, AKA: you and everyone like you, that has to be rude to people on here for no damn reason. Do come post on my question just to bitch at someone else!!!
    momluvsmiles

Answer by momluvsmiles at 6:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2010