Trying to understand relationship between sin and death. Please help.

I am a non Christian myself and have always been slighty confused about the Christian emphasis on the relationship between sin and death. Is it accurate to say that sin is the only reason death was introduced into the world, according to Christianity? and if it is not accurate, please help me understand where i have it wrong. I can be dismissive of Christianity, in part, because i find the preoccupation with the relationship of these two concepts illogical and quite frankly a little dark. I don't like that response in myself, especially because being Pagan, i get alot of that kind of reaction from Christians. being a hypocrite feels pretty crappy so i intend to tackle it with better understanding.

angelenia

Asked by angelenia at 4:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I too was under that impression considering that Eve and Adam ate from the tree that was forbidden and sinned so therefore they would die. It is plain and simple I guess but you will get a lot of answers that differ according to what they have been taught
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 4:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I THINK that is the case. I am looking at my Bible and it seems to be that there was nothing but good and paradise until the original sin. So I believe that yes, there was to be no death until the original sin.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Wonderwoman is right in that different branches teach different variations on things.
    SoniaL

• If Adam and Eve had not partaken of the fruit of the tree of good and evil, mortal death would have not been introduced. It's just all part of the plan of salvation. Jesus Christ came along, and was sacraficed, so that we may live again and be resurrected.
    Anonymous

• That's another one of those ways in which a religion uses a bogus story to try to explain something scientific.
    BaisMom

Answer by BaisMom at 5:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• hehe baismom...love it. I don't believe in it at all to be honest. To me, why the heck would "god" put the tree there in the first place? hmmm
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 5:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Is that why plants and animals die too, because of sin?
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 5:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• lol nah angel..they die because that is the natural order of things you know? I praise Amen-Ra who is considered the sun god but because the sun gives us life :) as for the Christian belief...I don't believe in most of what they say
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 5:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Laughs- Ok I am going to give a point blank answer tomorrow. I just read what I wrote and I was not happy with it. A fresh mind will help me. Blessings...
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Sin is fiction. Death is real. I would loooove to have to wait 900 plus years to die like Adam did. The myth of sin and death was primative man's effort to explain death. Another fear reaction. Religious slaves have a lot of fears like this. You can't explain the illogical and the untrue, so expect some weird answers!!
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 11:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2010