Is it honestly NOT normal to think about killing yourself?

I get so stressed out all the time and whenever I get overwhelmed or stressed out my mind wonders to cutting my wrist just to escape it all. Part of me wonders if it isn't more common than people let on and if it's quite normal. I've been like this since I was about 12 years old. I have really bad anxiety and wonder if that is why my mind wonders in that direction every time life gets hard.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Health

• Oh sweety it REALLY isn't normal, have you talked with your Dr about this? Please talk with someone soon!
    psugal

Answer by psugal at 4:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• everyone goes through those periods of despair and thinking it would be easier to just not feel anymore or wanting to do something to forget the pain. its not acting on those feelings and pulling through that makes you a strong person
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 4:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Well the thing that scares me is if it weren't for my children I'm sure I would have done it by now. I just worry maybe one day that excuse won't work anymore.
    Anonymous

• psugal is right, Hon. It isn't normal. Yes there are others who feel this way too. But it is more the minority and they need some help. You really should talk to someone about it.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 4:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i used to think about killing myself alot before i had my son. i never really wanted to do it, i would just think about it .. think about what it would be like, or what would my family think once i was dead. but like i said, i never really wanted to do it, it was just a thought. and i dont even have that thought anymore now that my son is here.
    why dont you go talk to somebody? or start exercising. exercising is really great for depression and anxiety, it basically cured my depression and anxiety once i started working out.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:55 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I think everyone at some point in time will think they'd be better off dead. It becomes worrisome when you begin to make plans of it, and if it happens repeatedly in short periods of time. The way you describe it sounds like you need help and are thinking about it more than normal.
    Anonymous

• That is not normal at all. You need to talk to your Dr. The only time I ever thought about that. Was when I was depressed and need help.
    Anonymous

• Please get help. I have been very depressed too but I realized that LIFE and being with friends and family HAS to be better than not being alive. What you have NOW is a GIFT!
    Anonymous

• I've had thoughts about it ever since I was in 5th grade (I'm 24 now). I thought of where I would do it. When I would do it. What my note would say. What my family would think. But I could never bring myself to think of HOW to do it. Which is why I know its just random depression every so often. I could never do it. I've had some bad times in my life, but I've always gotten past it. Another thing that helped me was when I was working for a veterans hospital and we got to take a tour of the city's morgue. There was a man there who ended his life. They had his body pushed up right next to the windows of the observation room. He had shot himself in the head. I sat there staring at this man majority of the time we were there.
    I kept thinking "does his family know that he is gone? What could have been so bad in his life to make him do this? What was going through his head when he pulled the trigger?" i could never do it.
    Anonymous

• it is normal. . .at some point everyone thinks about their own death and demise, whether it is by their own hand or by another's. . .whether they admit to it or not. . . everyone has a thought. . . I have thought about my own death, killing myself--maybe. . . it is a thought. . . and in this I think about what it would do for and to my family and those I love, and then I think now that I have my family and my DD. . . I could never do that to leave them.
    Life without death has no meaning. . .I am not saying anyone should go and carry these acts out to give their lives meaning. . . it is the restraint from the act that makes you strong, and it is those you live with that give your life true meaning. . .
    hope that makes sense**
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 6:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2010