food stamps.

My hubby got laid off again. when we work was take home about $1000 week between the two of us, now that he is a laid off were taking home about $250/week, my pay. He got approved for unemployment at about $400/week take home. so that = $650 week. I applied for food stamps (limit is $4,239 month). We have about $8,000 in savings but we don't want to use that. should I keep my appt. since we still do fall in guidelines? or should I say screw it since were still getting $650 a week? we have 3 young kids, and a house payment and ultilies, but no car payments (paid off)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• dont tell them about the money in your savings. they are not going to check.
    if you need help, take it! you are the hardworking americans who deserve it who are struggling for a while. if every hispanic and hasidic jew and immigrants can get our food stamps, then you should too.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You could always go to the appointment and see what they say. The savings might disqualify you, but you never know. Evn if you don't get much, you may get some. i'd at least try.
    Anonymous

• They will ask about money in savings. Is your husband looking for work or is he expecting to go back to the same job? If so, I would wait on the food stamps.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE.. that is what I am thinking too, hey even $50 will get us though a week the way I shop. (we spend about $300 a month on food)
    Anonymous

• OP HERE)) in our state MA it doesn't matter about saving since we have children under 19 in the home ((have been on before as a single mom)). He doesn't have to look for work, he is union so he will get called back, unknown when. he was laid off 18mos got called back in March 10 got laid off again in June so that just tells us were never know.
    Anonymous

• OP HERE)) PurpleButter.. I agree! we pay over $1400 in taxes a month when he is working :(
    Anonymous

if you need help, take it! you are the hardworking americans who deserve it who are struggling for a while. if every hispanic and hasidic jew and immigrants can get our food stamps, then you should too."

Be careful with that. If you don't disclose money they ask about and they find out, you can be criminally prosecuted. It's a felony. Don't mess with the government! I do agree that you deserve them though!
    Anonymous

• i would disclose the money in the bank because they do check..i got hit with fraud charges 7yrs ago for not disclosing the savings account i had..in DC they make you sign paper work say that you give them permission to check into all accounts..if you don't they dont give any thing..if they deny you there is always the appeal process..with the children at home i would def go an try..i have 4,dh,myself..i pay $600+ in cash...so try it out..as you walk in ask GOD for a divine miracle..just for xtra help
    Anonymous

• dont tell them about the money in your savings. they are not going to check. if you need help, take it! you are the hardworking americans who deserve it who are struggling for a while. if every hispanic and hasidic jew and immigrants can get our food stamps, then you should too."

WOW! That's great advice..

Anyways, They will ask for X amount of past bank statements..I would keep your appointment..and DONT try to hide anything.

youngmm

Answer by youngmm at 6:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• OP HERE)) I know for a fact they don't ask i already filled out the app. and on it, it stated if children under 19 living in home you don't have to provide assets, which include money in the back. I have no reason to hide it, if they will ask i will tell but I will not give anymore info then asked for. Thanks girls :)
    Anonymous