learning to walk?

does anyone else have a 10 month old that still don't wanna walk without holding on to something and what is the best way to get her to start walking???thx in advance for all the answers and plz if ur gonna be ignorant don't reply to this question bcz shes my first

samie_01

Asked by samie_01 at 5:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She will walk when she is ready. Some babies walk at 9 months and some walk at 15 months or beyond. You really can't get her to start walking. She will do it when she is ready. As long as she has the opportunity, meaning she is not cooped up in a walker/exersaucer, car seat, stroller - all day long then she will when the time is right. I am on my 4th and last. i was in a hurry with my other babies too. Especially my 1st. i couldn't wait for her to do things. Now I know how fast time goes by and how quickly they are 13 (like my oldest) so I savor every moment of my baby NOT doing something.
    SoniaL

Answer by SoniaL at 5:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• 10 months is kind of early to be worrying about walking. Most walk around their first birthday. Out of my 4 kids only one walked that early, my son. My oldest daughter didn't start walking until 14 months and my other 2 girls were just about 1 (one was 3 days over 1 and the other started the week before her birthday).
    If she's cruising around the furniture (walking while holding on to stuff) then she's doing great. Trust me, once they start walking things get a lot more...interesting and they get into a whole lot more things.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 5:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• my son is almost 13 months old and still isnt walking yet. whats the rush? be careful what you wish for!
    she will learn when shes ready.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• It is still early for her to walk. She is right were she should be and will let go and walk when she is ready.
    Anonymous

• My son is 10 1/2 months old and he will walk along the edge of the couch, tables, anything he can but he doesnt walk alone yet. Kids learn at different paces so we're not worried. We are enjoying this stage of his development. He is already a handful to keep track of, Lord help us when he does start walking on his own!

You can let her hold on to your fingers and step on her own if you want to practice but most likely, she'll just start one day when you're not looking.
    Aqua_Jen

Answer by Aqua_Jen at 5:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• She is right on track. As she gets more brave she will start to let go bit by bit. She needs to feel secure and it just takes a little bit of time. When she is walking along something she is holding onto, sit down on the floor just out of her reach and put your arms out to her and ask her to come. At first make it so she can grab onto the tips of your fingers. Celebrate the success as she walks to you. Then bit by bit move a tiny bit further away. You make her feel secure so she will be more apt to try. You can do it with toys or other things she would like to get. Good Luck! She's really close!!
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 5:25 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My son is 10 months old and still hasn't crawled, so I understand your concern... but if your DD is putting weight on her legs and keeping her balance I wouldn't be too concerned... obviously she has no physical hurdles to overcome in order to walk! She'll do it when she's ready to be a bit more adventurous.
    Koukla12905

Answer by Koukla12905 at 6:37 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• The average age to start to walk is 12 months old. Lots of babies don't walk until after they are a year old. All you need to do is wait and give her time. She will figure it out soon enough.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 7:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My dd (who is perfectly "normal") didnt walk until a little over 16 months. It was nothing to worry about. All babies are different. And 10 mos is really early to be worried about walking, imo.
    ma2b08

Answer by ma2b08 at 11:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• The normal range to start walking is 9 to 16 months with the average age being 12 to 13 months. At ten its tooootally normal not to walk. There isnt much you can do other than give hwer ample opportunities to learn and build strength:) My son started furniature walking just before 8 months, and took his first steps at 9 months 2 days, by ten months he walked as much as he crawled and by 11 months he hardly crawled. Everything takes a while. Just give it time :). I wish he woulda waited..lol...It gets tiring. Enjoy it while you can :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 11:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2010