3 1/2 yo having bad knee pains...dr says it is from playing

At 19 I was diagnosed with patello-femoral syndrome which cause me extreme pain in my knees. Growing up my mom always told me it was growing pain. It is excruiating. My son for over a year now has been complaining about knee pain but everytime we ask the pediatrician she just says it is from playing to hard. I give him tylonol when it asks up but he still just sits there and cries...it breaks my heart that I can't make it go away. Has anyone else dealt with this.

Anubis8733

Asked by Anubis8733 at 8:37 PM on Jun. 27, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No but genetics matters. I think you should see a specialist if only to put your mind at rest. Even if it is playing hard (doesn't sound right to me) he needs something for the pain if tylenol isn't helping. Do you need a referral? Ask for one. If she won't give it and there is another doctor in the practice, ask to see that doctor and see if you can get a referral. I assume the doctor knows about your medical history.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 9:19 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Is what you have genetic? Have you told the doctor about your medical history? Is there anything they can do for him differently if he does have what you have?

I would probably check into those things and then push the doctor for some answers (if it can be treated earlier to relieve some pain). There's no need for him to suffer if there are alternatives (assuming he has it).
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• Aww, poor guy :(. I haven't had to deal with anything like that but I would probably try to get a second doctor to look at him. Never hurts to have someone else check it out.
    LadyKiki

Answer by LadyKiki at 8:40 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• This is our second pediatrician, the first said the same thing. I do think genetics play a role but they are not 100% for sure. There isnt much that they can even really do for me. I just dont know what to do. I dont know if there is anything more they can do or even if it can be diagnosed this young.
    Anubis8733

Answer by Anubis8733 at 8:44 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• try epison salt baths and warm hot compresses
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 10:31 PM on Jun. 27, 2008

• I would get a second opinion, and if they still don't give you a satisfactory answer, tell them you'd like a referral to a specialist because of family history.
    RanaAurora

Answer by RanaAurora at 3:17 AM on Jun. 28, 2008