I have a ten year old boy that refuses to eat. He will eat pizza, chicken nuggets and burgers from fast food other than that nothing. He will choose to go hungry then to eat something different. What should I do.?

I have tried pediasure but he tastes the difference and wont take that. He refuses to eat vitamins. He has been like this his whole life. He is 5 feet and 66 pounds. The drs say hes not under weight but I can count every rib..... Please help.

summerjanine

Asked by summerjanine at 5:54 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• Personally I would let him go hungary. That stuff is expensive and i've never been a short order cook. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 5:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If you don't buy the fast food, how will he be able to get it?! Seriously....don't give in to his demands. You're the parent. Buy only the food YOU want him to eat. I have never known a child to PURPOSELY starve themselves when food is readily available. The only exception would be those who are anorexic, and that exclusively plagues girls! Besides, your son eats, but only junk food.

You can compromise...as in only one time per week he can have his fast food fix, other than that, he's welcome to eat what you provide. He'll eventually eat!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 6:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• i would say no food till teh next meal. if he's hungry that is his fault and eventually he'll get hungry enough to eat
    Mommy2JoshNJake

Answer by Mommy2JoshNJake at 6:01 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• leave his breakfast out til lunch, lunch out til dinner, dinner out til he's in bed. that way if he's hungry he can eat. and like pp said you're the parent, it's your job to provide wholesome meals and not just give in to his demands.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 6:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I'd say "eat what's in front of you or go hungry." He's old enough to know better, and the crap that he wants is just asking for heart disease and high cholesterol at an early age.
    Anonymous

• IF HE WON'T EAT WHAT YOU MAKE HIM, HE IS NOT HUNGRY---My kids tried that, it lasted half the day---I tell them, I am not a short order cook, eat or go hungry, they eat.
    blue_glass_mama

Answer by blue_glass_mama at 6:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• To the OP, at his age he will most likely eventually eat something if you let him go without food long enough, but then again, he may not. If he's a seriously picky eater, you could always look into behavioral feeding therapy for him.

To LoriKeet, yes there are children who would starve themselves to death. These children typically end up w/g-tubes. As for your anorexia comment, wrong again. There are boys who suffer from anorexia nervosa, but it's just not as well publicized.
    Anonymous

• he's 40 lbs underweight so your doc is a quack. get those gummy bear vitamins and don't tell him they're vitamins. i can't say what to do about him starving himself but definitely get him the gummy bear vitamins
    aliishott2

Answer by aliishott2 at 6:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Its not just fast food though. If and when I cook pizza and whatnot at home he eats. But meals that are cooked on a regular he wont touch.He will choose to go hungry everytime. But in the a.m. he eats beakfast food. Should I let him skip dinner because he doesnt like it? My other boy eats fruits veggies and almost everything I prepare. He is on concerta for adhd so thats plays a part in him not eating during day hours.
    summerjanine

Answer by summerjanine at 6:29 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• basically, as painful as it may be for you, you have to let him go hungry. Offer him breakfast, lunch, and dinner with the family, and fruits or health snacks in between.

I know what it can do to a kid that's parents let him/her get away with it. They eat that same food for the rest of their lives. Trust me I should know, i was one of those kids. It is soo hard for me to try new foods now, and forever to acquire a taste for some foods. I eat better now only because I want my daughter to eat healthy, but some foods I still can't stomach and it does effect my diet. I do take vitamins, but that doesn't replace good and healthy food. Seriously nip it in the butt now and he will have fewer problems when he is an adult.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2010