As a dog owner.. If your dog was misbehaving around a newborn baby...

If you did nothing to stop the repeated bad behavior.. Would you be offended if the baby's mom escorted your dog outside? This is at the baby and mom's house by the way not YOUR house.

No, wouldn't be offended? Me neither and if my dogs misbehaved around a newborn I would certainly apologize profusely and remove my pets from the area!

But not my MIL, she was ssooo offended she went out and got the dog and brought it back inside!!

I got mad and yelled and shouldn't have but I don't get why someone thinks that it's okay their dog misbehave around my new baby..

She was just ignoring all its bad behavior. It was not just curious. It kept growling at my baby while MIL was holding him and my dog was getting paranoid and growled and I told both dogs no and her dog chased my dog snarling.. I was gentle and just picked it up and took it outside and put it on our dogs run. Now I'm mean?!?! Tell me what I should have done?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Pets

• No you aren't wrong. I am very picky about what dogs I let around my daughter. I've seen too many times were a dog can bit and severely hurt a child. My neighbors dog use to be a sweet dog. The own had a grand daughter and the dog grew up with the baby. For the longest time he was always great with her. (the Granddaughter lived with grandparents after she was 4 months old). When she was around 2 1/2 the little girl and dog were outside playing. I was chatting with my neighbor, and the girl got bored and started to walk to her grandfather for a new toy. The dog literally got mad, and for whatever reason freaked out. He attacked the little girl. After 2 surgeries the girl will still have sever scarring on her face. Obviously the dog was put down. Every since I seen that happen, I really dislike bring my daughter around dogs of any kind.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:38 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• No way. I will tell you right now my MIL is so exciting that dh and i are ttc but i will not have a new baby anywhere around her idiotic dogs. They are very jealous if i even give her a hug goodbye. I could only imagine how jealous they would be of a newborn. I know her feelings would be deeply hurt when i tell her i don't want to bring a baby around with the dogs there but i'm sorry thats the way it will be. If she wants to take her dogs to the kennel for the day then that will be fine but i will not risk it.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:11 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I agree---Dogs that growl or just look like they MIGHT be hostile should NOT be near a baby. Babies rank #1....dogs are much farther down the list of proprities, IMO. LOL. I don't get why some people seem to prefer dogs to humans? They must be nuts.
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 6:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You posted in an earlier question that this dog was one of those little dogs. Putting one of them outside unsupervised can be dangerous. Hawks can snatch them up. I completly understand though what u did. In that situation I would have very firmly told her that the dogs behavior was making me nervous and insist she put it somewhere safe.
    Anonymous

• If I am the dog owner and if my dog was misbehaving around anyone, I would remove the dog. If its not my dog and I am not at my house, then I would remove my baby from the situation.
    kuriequinn

Answer by kuriequinn at 6:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Anon 6:14. Thanks! That's a legit REASON to bring it back indoors. I deleted that earlier q ? because I realized I posted it in the wrong section to get appropriate answers. But. She should've put it in the bathroom when she brought it back and told me why.

I should add I offered when they first came to put the dog in the bathroom because it tends to be snappy, but they told me it would be fine. HA! This was also something they talked about. They think it is rude that I wanted to put their dog away when they got here and felt like I was lecturing them on their dogs behavior.

Yes darn right I am going to protect my son above their dog.

kurie I was not going to take my son away from OUR home. That is ridiculous. It is the dog that had to go away.
    Anonymous

• I won't go to a home where I don't know a dog, with my daughter. I won't let my daughter around dogs without me present, and if we are in someones home and the dog acts up in any way I ask for the dog to be either placed outside or into a another room. If they don't like it, we leave. My daughters safety is much more important to me than that.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:40 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• This also happened a month and a half ago. I'm asking now though because I thought this was all over. I had apologized to MIL over the phone (tehy live far away) and invited her up for the 4th of July.. They are coming on the 4th, and my aunt told me that she just talked talked to MIL and she said all this crap about me being a b. word and how she was worried about my pets and how she hopes I am not such a whack job when she comes to see us for the 4th.

Now I am contemplating uninviting them up. But, I won't, I will just act like I never heard she said these things. But I am really hurt and I actually know for a fact what I did was not abusive or wrong toward her pet. I wanted her to have a good experience first meeting her grandchild but SHE ruined it and blames ME.
    Anonymous

• however if someone brought a dog to my home, I wouldn't let the dog inside. It would have to wait outside. I don't let dogs in our house at all. (we have a cat, and I don't need the cat literally putting holes in the walls she would be climbing, to try to get away from the dog, friendly or not, she hates dogs).
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• "I wanted her to have a good experience first meeting her grandchild but SHE ruined it and blames ME. "

plain and simple, I would tell her no out side animals allowed in the house. However if you have dogs too, perhaps offering to place both your dogs and her's outside together may lighten the blow (unless they don't get along of course). I'm sorry she is being so rude to you about her dog though.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 6:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2010