how to transition from cosleeping to crib sleeping?

I know this has been asked, but I could not find any archived questions. She is 7 months, breastfed and very used to mama being at her side, I have been putting her in my bed for naps too and she will wake up 20 minutes into the nap and need to be nursed back to sleep. Tried substituting me with a pacifier and that didn't work. Too cool a toy I guess. Anyways, all tips and advice are welcome and appreciated! Thanks!

staciandababy

Asked by staciandababy at 6:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I am asking now because SO has a week off from work so I will have a little help, because I am sure to lose sleep over this.
    staciandababy

Answer by staciandababy at 6:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Here is how I fixed that issue here... I stopped laying down to nurse my DS to sleep. I would sit in a chair or on my bed and nurse him. I would let him nurse til he just started to doze then I would start to move around with him. I would walk around still nursing him until he calmed back down. then I would let him fall asleep completely while nursing. as soon as he lost his grip on me breast it was time to put him down.

It may take a few times of putting her down and her waking up, you picking her up and getting her to sleep again, putting her down and her waking up. But soon you and he will get into a rhythm.

Just know this... when i stopped co-sleeping with DS it was the beginning of the weaning process. But we did last til 19mon and 14days

Good Luck!!!
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 6:45 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• That is what I did. I always fed while sitting in a rocking chair and when they were full and drowsy,I put them in ther crib. It seemed to work well from the very beginnng. I was always worried about a baby sleeping in his parents' bed....so many times there are news stories about babies smothering when they co-sleep.
    Anonymous

• I just wear my baby and she naps while I do chores. We only go to bed to sleep for the night.

To anony: in the cases of smothering, it wasn't the cosleeping in a bed. They were either impaired by drugs, smoking, or alcohol. Were NOT in a bed (couch or chair), and were as far as I am aware, bottlefeeders (breastfeeders sleep differently and breastfed babies also have different sleep habits). The fear is unfounded with safe cosleeping/bedsharing practices. After all, SIDS was formerly known as crib death and I don't see the same sort of horrified fear of cribs, even when they are recalled and babies smother in them.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 8:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Are we the only parents who were sad when our daughter didn't want to sleep with us anymore?

Answer by rkoloms at 7:40 PM on Jun. 14, 2010