Induction ? for Moms who have had one!!! And for moms who know ALOT about them

I am having an induction (due to medical reasons!!!) in a week. And my OB said they will insert a pill to help soften and rippen my cervics. I am hoping to find out the name of the common pill, so I can find more info :o)

I am super fine with being induced, and feel like if your not-- Dont really care... Dont judge me, you dont know me...

But for Moms who have been please let me know what your experince was like... This is my second baby. I had an epidral at 8cm with my son... And have heard you should get one sooner with a induction, to help you relax, cause it hurts more

Thank!

ashley_hatty

Asked by ashley_hatty at 6:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I had that pill and the one I had was called Cervidal.
    mommyofJames512

Answer by mommyofJames512 at 7:00 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Umm I got incuded at around 8 pm and the dr told me there would be light cramping for a few hours,which I fell asleep so I might of had a few cramps during the night but when I woke up I wasnt cramping or feeling any pain,and I was dilated about 2 n half inches still,didnt really do much for me,then a few hours later they broke my water because I wasnt dialating..and thats when the contractions really came on,I waited about 2 hours before I got the epidural,and I was then dialted at a 3 or 4 I think,I gave birth via emergency c section.
    mommy16love

Answer by mommy16love at 7:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• actually with an induction you have to wait till later in the labor process to have the epi. it can actually slow the process if you do it to early.

I had and induction with my first. They had me come in on friday morning and started the potocin(sp?) at 7:00am I didn't dialate past a 2 all day. they sent me home. I came back in on Monday morning @12am they put the cervadel (pill) in to soften my cervix and started the potocin at 3am i progressed to a 3 so at 3:30pm they came in and broke my water. at 6:30 they finally got tired of my SO asking them to give me drugs and they gave me an epidural. by 7:15 i was rushed into the OR for a emergency C-section. the baby had gone dry!!!

8 (almost 9) years later He is a happy healthy mouthy boy. I have had 2 more children via scheduled c-sections.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 7:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I've been induced. with my DD>

First they tried an "natural" induction (removing my mucus plug).. after a week and no dilation, they set me up in the hospital and tried the IV induction (no I don't remember the exact name). After a day of that, and still no dilation, the next day they gave me something that was on a tab on a string that they stuck up near my cervix.. THAT did the trick.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 7:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• There is a pill that is used for induction called Cytotec. It's actually not intended for inductions, it's actually used for treating ulcers. There are growing concerns about it's use for inductions and I personally would not consent to it's use for me.

I was induced with prostglandin gel. It's inserted behind the cervix and if you are almost ready it will give you the boost to get labour started. Another method is cervidil. My sister had that, hers was like a tampon they inserted into her vagina. She had contractions, but they stopped as soon as it was removed, so it wasn't successful for her. And of course using a pitocin drip. All have their own pros and cons and varying success rates. I would use any of these methods, but definitely not cytotec - too dangerous to my mind.
    canadianmom1974

Answer by canadianmom1974 at 7:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I have been induced three times, twice at 37 weeks and once at 38 weeks. One was a Cytotec induction and it took 16 hours she was my second labor she was born vaginally with no complications at 37 weeks; the next one was my third child she was born in 8 hours beginning to end, it was a pitocin induction born vaginally with no complications; my fourth child was induced at 38 weeks with breaking my water and then after an hour or so they gave me pitocin she was born vaginally in 5 hours beginning to end she only had jaundice but was sent home with me and has no lasting effects; my oldest child was born naturally w/ epi at 39 w 6 d not induced supposedly if you have already had a child vaginally it is supposed to be easier to be induce in subsequent pregnancies. With how long it took that was from the very start of the induction to delivery so, it wasn't that long I don't think. Good Luck!
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:16 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I was unfortunate enough to have a saline induction_where they insert a cath into my cervix until you reach about 4cm (I had to deliver a month early)...it hurt alot-not to mention they tried having an intern place it....once that kicks in, it falls out and I got started on pitocin. Again, not pleasant but I ended up with a healthy baby. The only other prob I had is that I was overweight and the bands weren't picking up the contractions very well. I knew i was having them too freq but it wasn't picking it up well...the internal was much better but then you don't get to get out of bed once an internal is in.
    Hopefully things will go well for you....it wasn't the natural birth I was hoping for but the end result was worth it. I recommend relaxation tapes and a birthing ball--both helped me stay as calm as possible.
    Anonymous

• My water broke, but labor didn't really start.
    After about 20 hours, my labor had started but was not strong enough, and since my water had broke some time before, they had to transport me to the hospital (I was @ a water Birthing Center ) where they induced me (pitocin). That made my contractions VERY storng (they said about 10 times more than natural...), so I opted for an epidural about an hour in :)))
    I then felt nothing and fell asleep till it was pushing time, pushed for 2 hours and my oldest was born 28 hours after my water broke :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 7:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I've had 2 natural births and 3 inductions (due to medical reasons). I would take induction over natural ANY DAY. I didn't find the contractions to be any more painful than the active stage in a natural labor, but labor was far shorter than with natural. The gel or pills only made me crampy, and pitocin only worked if I was already naturally dilated past 3 cm (SEX works great for that!). I also knew, since I'd already had 2 natural births, that my body kicked into serious business once my water broke. Once I'd talked the doctor into breaking my water (he would only do that if I'd been having regular contractions and was 5 cm dilated), it was only a matter of a two hours or less before my babies arrived. I never had an epidural, no pain meds, no C-sections. I used relaxation and pain management techniques to get through induced labor, just like I had with the natural births.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I had the pill as well. It took about one hour from the time the first piece of the pill was inserted and when labor began. Within two hours my contractions were off the chart and coming every 1.5 minutes. The pain was indescribable, I lasted almost 8 hours through that before I gave in and got the epidural. They broke my water around the same time, when I was 4cm dilated. I was a full 10 cm dilated within 2 hours after my water was broken. In total my labor was an excruciating 11 hours but my daughter arrived healthy and safe.
    imamommmmyyy

Answer by imamommmmyyy at 9:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2010