To spank or not to spank?

If you spank why do you think it's a better form of discipline . If you don't spank why do you think it's a better form of discipline? I was wondering because we don't spank and at the circus today this lady infront of use was hitting and smacking her 2 year old. To make him sit still but it didn't work he kept moving aroung and getting out his seat.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Just for Fun

• works for some kids and not for others just like any form of discipline!
    Right now bribery and money exchange seem to work for my oldest (he is 8). when he acts up he pays me back part of his allowance.
    Spanking him has never really worked. My 4 year old responds greatly to the threat of a spanking.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 7:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I spank as a last resort and usually only when they are doing something that can get them hurt. I was spanked as a kid and it made me think twice about things I had done. There is a difference though between one or two smacks on the butt and hitting your kid over and over again.

I see nothing wrong with it but to each his own.
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 7:20 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• MomofDagJag-I like the money idea. When my boys are old enough to understand, I just might have to steal your idea!
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 7:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• spanking doesnt work. it teaches violence and kids dont even really understand why they are getting spanked. i think its just ridiculous to cause physical harm to your children and call it "discipline".
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 7:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• That's exactly why I don't spank. Spanking a child for being wiggly at a circus is ridiculous.

I don't spank because I feel it's wrong for me to strike a child. I don't feel spanking is necessary in any circumstance. There are a multitude of ways to discipline that don't involve corporate punishment, but it takes a lot of time, patience and commitment to put these techniques into practice.

My daughter is almost two years old, and she acts like a child who is almost two years old. I allow her to be who she is according to her personality AND according to her developmental stage.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 7:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• * mommyerin02 right now we use monopoly money starting with the 5 working as a nickle all the way up to the 500 working as $5 he has to keep track of them and he can cash them in on his dad's payday (so every 2 weeks) He has to pay me for smarting off, arguing with me, neglecting his chores, and so on and so forth. He gets paid for good behavior.
    MomOfDagJag

Answer by MomOfDagJag at 7:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I spanked my kids when they were small-it worked out for me/ but not beating the crap out of them. when the thought of doing something wrong-they thought twice,knowing they would get spanked. also growing -up i was spanked by my Dad- its a fear factor,and worked
    Anonymous

• it works for one of my kids and not for the other....my DS i have to pull him into a bear hug thing and calm him down that way and my DD the spankings work she only gets them when she has done something dangerous or something along those lines.
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 7:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I don't believe in spanking. I have always taught my kids that hitting is "inappropriate behavior". They get in trouble at day care and in school for physical behavior - why is at home any different? Do you allow your children to hit, kick or otherwise use physical force against each other? Probably not. Do you teach your kids that they should use their "words" when they feel frustrated or angry? So why do parents feel they are "above the rules" and can smack and hit their kids whenever they are frustrated or angry? I just don't get it.
    Anonymous

• I know that spanking is wrong because I have a brain and I'm able to reason. It's not OK to hit anyone, especially not a child and hitting a kid as punishment for hitting someone else is about the stupidest parenting theory ever.
    RhondaVeggie

Answer by RhondaVeggie at 8:13 PM on Jun. 13, 2010