does religious education = a degree?

I am just wondering from another question if you have to have a full out degree in a topic like Islam to know anything about it? Does one who does not have a degree have no business speaking on the topic? If there is no degree do you speak only ignorace?

Honestly, the way ignorant and ignorace is used on cafemom it is almost a compliment.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You don't have to have a degree to be able to speak on it, but for Flying Spaghetti Monster's sake, at least know what you're talking about! Too many people make assumptions that anyone who practices Islam is a terrorist, that every Christian shoves their beliefs down non-believer's throats, that atheists are devil worshipers, that every pagan is a witch, etc etc etc. Ignorance really does abound on here, so if you don't know much about the belief system, don't talk about it.

"'Tis better to be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt."
    Anonymous

• fyi do have a religion degree and the above statement is why I say ignorance is starting to be a compliment only on cafemom.

I do agree with some statements from above. I have lost count of the times I have seen someone who practices one religion act like the authority on another. Example, a pagan will say the understand and know the bible better than most Christians and the give a complete misinterpretation of the bible. Any Christian that dares to disagree is called ignorant.

"Christians aren't suppose to judge" is by far the most ignorant statement I have heard
    Anonymous

• OK so I have a degree in Sports Medicine and Physical Education... does that mean I don't know anything about any other topic?? I Guess I just don't get your question... please elaborate and clarify.

The question you are referring to, from what I remember was asking if anyone had a degree in Islamic studies and went on to say that companies pay big buck to people with such degrees.... I believe that was the gist of that question. I don't think it was saying you didn't know about Islam if you don't have a degree.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 8:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

did you not know anything before you started your degree? Did you not know anything right before you got your degree? Could you only speak of it once you HAD a degree?
    Anonymous

• did you not know anything before you started your degree?
    Is the question did I know about SM/PE before I went to school? Yes, I went to school to get certified.
    Did you not know anything right before you got your degree?
    Did I know about the subject while I was in school? Yes, I had been taking classes on the subject for 4.5 years.
    Could you only speak of it once you HAD a degree?
    I could only speak of it with authority once I had the degree and received my national cert. and licence.
    I am working on my Teaching licence so I can't legally teach in a public school in my state

But again... I still don't get what you are asking here.... please clarify the question.

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• In my opinion, study of any religion helps you know some things about that particular religion, but until you expirience it, apply it and feel it, you don't know everything.
    Anonymous

• I don't think you have to have a degree to be informed or knowledgeable. It takes some sort of active learning, but that learning doesn't have to be conducted within the walls of a university. Sure, a degree gives more credibility and all that, but one can speak of a topic without having to have that piece of paper, as one can become acquainted with a subject outside of the context of a formal education.
    The only ones I would say are ignorant of a subject are those who haven't made an effort to understand or learn about it in the first place. There are many women on here, though, who are quite knowledgeable of religion without a degree in it. There are plenty of sources and ways to educate yourself that universities don't hold a monopoly on information or understanding. Its just the willingness to actually take the time to educate oneself that matters.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• you clarified it for me. To say someone is ignorant because they speak of their experience or their knowledge is a false statement. Thanks
    Anonymous

• I still do not understand why people pay others to teach them out of Yahweh's word when he gives you enlightenment for free. Of course they are being trained in their churches doctrine, but if they were to look into it themselves they would see it doesn't fit with the word at all. Blessings..
    Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:46 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

Without a degree you can't speak "with authority"(ie documented credibility) on a subject if that's what you are asking. You can definitely be knowledgeable about a subject, but you can't speak with any kind of documented expertise. I don't think that has anything to do with ignorance. There are plenty of well informed people that do not have a degree in the subject they are knowledgeable in. But a degree sure helps if you are trying to work in a field that requires you to apply that knowledge. A "religious education" and being educated about a particular religion are two different things....so I still don't "get" your question. ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2010