Really what do you think about baby/bridal shower and wedding regsitries?

I don't think I like them due to the fact that I don't like people to know how much I spent on their gift, especially since I try to be a frugal shopper and buy things on sale and I don't like feeling like I'm being told what to buy.

QandA

Asked by QandA at 8:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Shopping

• Hate them. It's so bogus to me when I see a bride open up a gift and act all surprised ... she knows exactly what she might be getting cuz she's the one who picked it out. Plus, nowadays most people are out on their own before they get married (unlike years ago when folks moved from their parents house directly to their own place) and presumably already have what they need (dishes, bedding, etc.); registering through a bridal registry seems like asking for stuff just cuz someone else is paying for it.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 6:48 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• i like it bc it's useful to know what the people need so you don't end up wasting your money on something they don't like and or need. now if they are asking for ridiculous stuff or everything on there is $100+ then i just buy them whatever i think they will like and don't do it through the registry lol

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 8:19 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I think they're mainly a convenience for the people attending the shower or wedding. For our wedding, we didn't register, mainly because we already lived together and didn't need anything. Most people brought cash, some brought gifts, whatever. We also included in the invitation that gifts were not necessary. For my baby shower, I did register. People constantly wanted to know what I needed, and I would have felt bad if I told them all the same things and they all showed up with duplicates. Still, it's never a requirement to buy from the registry, in my opinion, but more of a suggestion if needed.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 8:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• to me it is the convenience for people to know what I would like or need and vice versa. . . it helps to know what they would like so I don't waste my money. . . keeping in mind I will only spend up to a certain amount regardless. Saying this. . . I did not have either for myself and wish I had. . . it would have been nice to get useful things instead of well nothing.
    Anonymous

• i love it & wish people would do them for their birthdays as well! Seriously! Ive had 1 friend that did it for their kid (big family, it helped them alot!) I LOVED IT!!!!!!
    There needs to be a "wish list" side kinda like Facebook or something! it would make my life easy! Id give alot more often out of random love & kindness! lol..
    Im horrible at gift giving, I can never make up my mind & often after buying 1 thing I really wished Id had chosen the other thing..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 2:23 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I never use them- I find them to be a hastle so I get them something I think they will like with the gift reciept just in case. (or a gift card)
    ABusyBee

Answer by ABusyBee at 10:34 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I like them. I like getting something I know the couple wants/needs and will use. And I like getting things that will go with their taste and style. Unless they have a registry, how am I to know what their taste/style is? For baby showers, though, I will usually get something from the registry and then a couple cute little things not on the registry.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:24 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• They just help out people looking for things to get you, because theres always those people that have no clue what to get. You dont have to shop off the registry though. Its just to help people out. I only got like 2 things off my baby registry and that was just fine.
    Sophie4910

Answer by Sophie4910 at 2:27 PM on Jun. 15, 2010