• In the Spotlight:

How do you teach portions control to kids?

When all the other adults in their life tell them they should eat as much as they want at every meal since they are growing kids?

Not to mention I'm pregnant and should be eating more then normal but if I eat more they HAVE to eat more. They want to eat 2 adult portions at every meal. Today I made mac & cheese and chicken nuggets. I barely got any because all my kids had to have double helpings.

justanotherjen

Asked by justanotherjen at 8:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in General Parenting

• You serve it in portions that you think are appropriate. Tell them that's all they get. Give it time to settle in their stomachs and if they are still hungry in 30 minutes they can have more. Also try serving more high fiber foods. It's more filling and keeps them full for longer.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 8:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You give them the correct amount of food and tell them that this is what is healthful for their body and why and don't give them more unless it is something like veggies or fruits which are full of vitamins and nutrients. Borrow a video or book from the library on nutrition that they will understand and use it to teach them how to eat properly. Also make sure the foods they eat contain the proper amount of fiber so they aren't as hungry as they would be with empty foods.

bandrplus2

Answer by bandrplus2 at 8:59 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• You show proper portions and leave it at that. It is ok for them to eat until they are no longer hungry and not to eat when they aren't hungry.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:02 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I didn't say I had to eat double. I said I was supposed to be eating more. I'm barely eating normal adult portions of anything and I don't get to snack at all (doesn't matter what kind of snack) because if they see me eat they HAVE to eat. All they do is whine about being hungry all day long. I haven't gained weight in months (I'm due in 5 weeks and have put on 10lbs, 5 of that is the baby).

Even when I dole out the food in correct portions my dad is sitting there going, "but their growing kids, they need to eat, their so hungry," and then proceeds to eat 4 portions himself.

I had 2 scoops of macaroni and 6 nuggets (which is slightly more then a regular portion, I believe). My kids each wanted a huge bowl (2 cups of macaroni) and 6-10 nuggets each. I didn't make enough for that so my 10yo started crying and screaming she was starving and HAD to have more.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:15 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• 1/2 of your plate should be full of veggies without butter or cheese sauce. one fist full of protein and one fist full of carbs...brown rice is great!
    personally, i don't really do portion control in our home.
    a fist is a good visual, as you get bigger then so does your fist. one fist full of food is a snack, and two fist fulls are a meal. 3 snacks and 3 meals a day evenly spread out are good.
    i think with kids, it really may be different because they do have growth spurts. maybe just push more veggies?
    congratulations on your pregnancy!
    my 2 yo's were at my moms one day and they ate 10 nuggets each...and my parents refused to give them more for fear they would get sick! i make home made chicken nuggets, so they were very happy to have something yummier!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:51 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Excuse me but who is the adult dishing out the portions? Do you know how many carbs are in mac & cheese? Twice the daily allowance!!!!! DAILY allowance! Twice. why do people still feed kids that?
    Anonymous

• I plate up the meals around here so that way everybody gets the same amount, except my husband..and that because he works very hard and needs the calories.
    Now if we are at a place where they help themselves it should be one scoopfull from each dish of food. chicken nuggets well a serving is 5 so you take five...I also remind them that others need their food and you can have more if any is left.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 11:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• We always had "portion control" because I just served everyone one portion on one plate,with no extra food. And when I was pregnant, I didn't eat more food than I would when I was not pregnant.There is no good reason to eat more when you are pregnant. It just makes YOU fat , doesn't help baby at all,and makes it harder to return tro a normal weight. I never overate. My kids were never fat. I have never been fat. Portion control is just the right way to eat, nothing new.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:46 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I'm sorry, but it sounds like you and your whole family need to work on eating more healthy portions and select food that is not garbage. Also if you were a bit overweight when you got pregnant then only gaining ten pounds might not be that bad. Let your kids have snacks of fruit and veggies anytime they want and then at meal times you make the plates and use a normal child size portion and allow them a small helping for seconds. After that fruit or veggies if they're still hungry. Do the same thing yourself and set a good example.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:12 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• For fruits and vegetables, portions are unlimited; for other foods, we follow serving sizes very closely.

Answer by rkoloms at 5:04 PM on Jun. 14, 2010