2year old speech problems.....

I have a 2 year old and a one year old. My 2 year old doesnt say many words though....He bables all the time but the only words he really says is "Mama", "Dada" and sometimes "Hi". My 1year old does the same...I have many flashcards with the word at the bottom and pictures on the top....but everytime i try them with him he gets frustrated and starts throwing a taturm...I don't know what to do....I also try getting him to say words when we are playing....like ball, dog, ect...but he doesnt show any interest in it...I don't know how to help him start talking. i feel like im a bad parent because i see 1 year olds talking more than him and my daughter...Can someone please help me..?(And he does NOT have autisum...he was checked. He does see a speech therapist for the talking but its not working....

proud_mommy1322

Asked by proud_mommy1322 at 8:53 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It will come mom! My dd has speech issues, I know it is frustrating but it will come! My dd is 4 now and her vocab has gotten so much better! There were days though I wondered if she would ever talk to me!

You sound like you are doing exactly what you need to do for him. the therapy is wonderful and you should just keep the dialog going with him. Its exhausting but talk all day...tell him what you are doing, what you are going to do....point out everything and name it....try to press him to say the words...but dont stress you both out over it....just try :)

IT IS NOTHING YOU HAVE DONE WRONG!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 8:58 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• if he is seeing a therapist and you've talked to his ped....then you've done all you can do. mom2twobabes is absolutely correct...it will come! Promise. Every Every EVERY kid is different mamma. you sound like you're doing quite a bit at home. try just BIG PICTURE books. Not so much with the words, just the giant bright pics of things...since he's two try to let him pick one out so you know what catches his eye. Then sit with him and make games about calling the pics their names. my son has a pic book and we go through it almost every day. I'll ask "I see a yellow banana. Do you see a yellow banana? Can you show me where the yellow banana is?" things like that work. good luck girl. don't forget to take time for you, this is a very frustrating phase for you and your child. He'll be throwing tantrums anyway just because he is an age where he can't communicate what he wants. Just keep up the good work and be patient!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 9:10 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• trust me..... i've been through this with my nephew and my oldest son. they were 2 yo and still talking 'baby talk' and i was sooo frustrated. then one day i was reading a book to my nephew and he pointed to a picture and said cookies! and now i can't get the boy to shut up lol. and the same thing with my son. one day out of the blue he just started talking in complete sentences. just keep talking to him as you would talk to an adult. read to him..... describe things to him when you're out. i am pretty sure they were older than 3 when they started talking well. boys take longer than girls in speech (although my second son is just 2 and he talks in sentences..... it's true that every child is different!). it's nothing to worry about .... you'll see one day he'll just come up to you and say something like 'mommy i'm thirsty' or 'can you read me this book?' it's crazy but from my experiences it happens that quick
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:12 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Do you sign to him? That will also help. Does your therapist sign to him? I started signing to my daughter at 5 mths old. As you sign to them you also talk to them. This might help him. The one sign I can teach you is more, put your hand to your mouth and say to him more, meaning milk, juice ect. It is not to late to sign to him or your daughter. You can get the DVD called My First Signs, this is by Baby Einstein. I know Wal-Mart has it, you can also check Target as well. Don't worry you are doing everything right."HUGS"
    Anonymous

• He's only 2 and he's a boy. Boys develop language slower than girls. My oldest is very bright but she was slow to pick up language. She didn't really start talking until 3 yr old. 2 is still quite young. Don't worry about what other moms say or their toddlers are doing. Just let your son pick things up at his pace. If he's not talking by 3.5 yr, then start to be concerned.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:48 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If he's already in speech therapy, then his therapist would be the best person to ask for advice. You could make sure that what you are doing at home is consistent with what she's working on him with during speech. Also - you could also incorporate signing (you can just look up simple signs on the ASL website - no need to buy anything!) or try PECS to see if either of those will encourage his speech along.

Answer by missanc at 10:21 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• My son was the same way at 2. Just jibber jabber with a few words every now and then. At 3 he never shuts up! i keep earplugs in my pocket at all times! i mean, there are only so many times i can hear the abc's in any given day before i snap.lol. Relax, mama, it will happen.
    angelenia

Answer by angelenia at 1:16 AM on Jun. 14, 2010

• I was in your boat until about a month ago. My son would say about 5 words and baby talk the rest of the day. He talked constantly but we had no idea what he was talking about, lol. I started signing to him when he was around 6 months old and I worried that I had ruined him. He used about 20 signs and I thought that he just prefered to sign over talking. So I stoppped responding to the signs and started to ask him "what would you like for lunch?". He would sign "Eat" and what he wanted but I would make a funny face and ask again. He finally caught on after I would ask "You want to eat a cup?.... You want to eat a fork?" so on and so on...
    He is now speaking English!!!!! and I am soooo excited. He vocabulary had quadrupled in the past month. He even asked for APPLE JUICE today!

Don't worry Mama, he will talk and you are doing all the right things!
    colorsofgrey

Answer by colorsofgrey at 1:27 AM on Jun. 15, 2010