How can I get them to quit climbing?!

How can I get my 2 17 month olds to quit climbing? They have just figured out how to climb on the couch and it is driving us nuts! The dining room chairs are are bungeed under the table to keep them from climbing there and we have one of those fence/ gate things around our entertainment center, but the couches you can't really block!

When they get up there, I will pick them up and move them and try to give them something to play with, but they just run back to the couch laughing and do it again! I told my husband we should store the couches and get some folding chairs until the pass this phase. lol! Any help or suggestions is appreciated!

mommystiebler

Asked by mommystiebler at 9:17 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• LOL Not so sure this phase will pass. My son climbs everything. Tonight he discovered how to get up on the bench to the organ in our house. Not sure what took so long for him to discover it...but anyways, he is almost 2 and it just gets worse LOL
    2BlondeBabies

Answer by 2BlondeBabies at 9:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I am totally there right now except my two are 21 months. I haven't found anything that works as of yet. I just remove them from said piece of furniture and tell them they can get hurt if they fall.

I'm thinking about making the living room off limits until this phase passes!

Good luck!
    mommyerin02

Answer by mommyerin02 at 9:24 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• There's nothing you can do. Climbing is a natural stage. And usually one tumble off won't kill them or even seriously injure them, but will teach them to be a little more careful. Just make sure you don't have a coffee table or anything too close to it, and let them do what babies do.
    Anonymous

• My son started climbing everything around 18 months old and he is over two years now and still does it. When he was around 20 months old he fell off the couch and hit his head on the window edge. Blood every where and a trip to the er. He still climbs around like crazy. I tried blocking the living room off and everything. The couch is his favorite place to climb but he just learned to climb over the coffee table to get to the couch. I gave up trying to get him to stop, just trying to teach him to be careful now.
    Anonymous

• i think your life is going to get tougher!!!
    i only have one climber, so i feel soooo lucky!
    our dining room chairs live in the family room because my climber can't push them over the threshold yet!
    soon your little ones will be climbing your gates!
    are they out of their cribs yet?
    my climber is 27 months now, and i am sure he will be climbing over the fence before summer is over!
    i wish you the best of luck!
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 9:28 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Thank you guys! We do let them get up there when we are sitting and tell them to sit, but it is more of the safety thing if we aren't sitting and I guess could add to their confusion (maybe? okay sometimes when we are there, but not when we aren't there). These aren't my first, but I guess because it's two it just seems to be so much! Any more input is appreciated!

No they aren't climbing out of their cribs yet... I'm dreading that one!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 9:31 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• At 22 months my son climbed up his chest of drawers and caused it to fall and it landed on him. :( He was ok, but it was scary. I have toddler proof knob covers on all the doors that lead to rooms where he can easily get hurt. I have a gate up to keep him out of the kitchen, that way he must stay in the carpetted areas. I can't get him to stop climbing. The only solution I've found is to make things as safe as possible and to not let him out of my sight. He turned two in April.
    ThrivingMom

Answer by ThrivingMom at 9:52 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If you figure it out, let me know!! My monkey is 22 months old and I can't get him to stop climbing for the life of me. Up until recently I had all of the chairs in my dinning room locked away and only brought them out for meals because my son would climb up on the table!! He started doing that at 12 months... imagine me turning around to see my one year old crawling furiously across the dinning room table!!!
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:56 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I firmly told my LO NO when she started trying to climb the baby gate and the play yard fence and popped the side of her little leg to get my point across. She hasn't attempted to do it since. I let her climb onto the couch but she must SIT. She gets 2 warning and then I threaten a punishment and follow through. She sits 75% of the time. She has taken about 3 good spills and has become more cautious after each one. The crib we actually greased down with a very thin layer of vaseline and she couldn't get a good grip and kept sliding back down. After several fruitless attempts, she gave up. I have had to become very crafty with trying to keep her safe because she is her father's child. My dining room chairs have hit her in the head several times when she is trying to climb into them. I don't know how to fix that problem yet. I wish you luck!
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:57 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• We started using Love & Logic around that age, and it helped with everything from climbing to throwing food. With L&L you tell them the rule once, and then every time after that you enforce a consequence (or let the natural consequence occur if it is not dangerous). As soon as we saw them climbing onto the couch we'd pick them up and say, "Uh Oh, it's sad you decided to climb on the couch." Then we'd carry them to their crib and say, "I'll be back when you're sweet." We'd leave them until they calmed down and were quiet for about a minute and a half. Then, we'd go in and say "I'm so glad to have my sweet girl/boy back" as we gave them a hug and took them out. We'd repeat every time, which meant we were doing it a lot at first. After a few days they didn't do it very often. Of course they continued to test the rules from time to time, so we also took the legs off our couch to make it shorter.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 10:54 AM on Jun. 14, 2010