What determines which questions are "popular"?

Is it someone handpicking them or is it a formula? Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:04 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in About CafeMom

• it's the questions with the most answers
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:06 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• In a certain period of time? Because my question has 24 answers and I asked it about 4 hours ago and it's not even in the top 25. However, some with 10 or fewer answers are more popular. I always wondered how it worked.
    Anonymous

• It's combination of most questions-most viewed...in x time frame. Not exactly sure what the time frame is.....
    SAHMinIL2

Answer by SAHMinIL2 at 10:14 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• So it's an equation, not somebody behind the scenes going " I think that one will draw a lot of attention etc..."
    Anonymous

• I highly doubt they pay someone to sit and watch all the questions that is just crazy. There is a computer somewhere crunching numbers and looking at how many times in a certain time frame the questions are viewed and/or answered. That is what computers are great at doing!
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 11:05 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I only asked because I've had a number of questions that seemed like they should register in the top 50 but didn't. Like they had 20 answers within several hours but they were not there and there are questions with only 5 answers in the top 20. It didn't make sense to me.
    Anonymous

• This was asked in the discussion group and this what they said

...it basically looks at questions with the most views & answers in the last three days and ranks them. It also makes it progressively harder for something to stay at the top very long, so if someone has been #1 for a day or so, it would need 2x as many views and answers in the next day to retain its position. - The CafeMom Team

Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 1:28 AM on Jun. 14, 2010