does spanking really work

so i have a 2 year old son who has pick up some unwelcome habits from daycare. his dad is all for the spanking because that the way he was brought up. and yes i got spanked once and a while not all the time. but does it really work these days. what have you guys tryed that work instead of spanking?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:09 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I have a 19 month old that we are avoiding spanking. it was the way I was brought up and I hated it. It never did any good anyway to my sisters and I. it is frustrating with my son sometimes. He doesn't always listen. Children this age don't have much attention span for disciplinary measures so that makes it even harder. We've started sitting him down if he keeps doing something wrong. We have a 5 week old and sometimes my son is too rough with him. If he keeps doing the thing that might hurt the baby I'll say "go sit down" he will go and sit for a short period of time (doesn't like it because he knows I'm upset and he's done something wrong) If he cries really hard while he's sitting, I'll sit down on the floor with him and just very calmly say "stop crying so mamma can talk to you." when he does I'll tell him what he did wrong and why it hurt the baby. He will then ask to get up, kiss me and then go kiss baby. message me!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:26 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I'd love to talk to you about this, message me and I'll hit you back about it. thanks!
    Adeline1210

Answer by Adeline1210 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Yes. It's worked WONDERS in our house.
    Anonymous

• I take things away. Normally it's a tantrum over how she is playing with a toy, so I take the toy away. Then I tell her why I took it. I let her think about it in time out for up to 5 minutes (pending on what she did), and then reintroduce the toy again. I again ask her about why I took it away, and tell her she can have it back, but only if she plays with it right.

If she hit's someone, we take away all her toys for a period of time from a half hour to the rest of the day, pending on what she did, and make her make a full apology.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:33 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• spankings (my husbands way of things) only resulted in our kids hitting and throwing things when they got mad and upset.
    Anonymous

• As for spankings, we tried them, but they really only end up fueling her temper more. Yes she knows she did something wrong, but it just ticks her off and then she would end up hitting back. So we only did it once or twice and realized what a joke spanking was.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:35 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• If used correctly, yes it works.
    nsrush83

Answer by nsrush83 at 10:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• http://www.stophitting.com/index.php?page=factsnfiction
    Anonymous

• We use time out and spanking.... both are effective depending on what they are used for.
    For us spanking usually happens because he's either doing something dangerous (like tonight he got a swat on the butt because he wouldn't sit down in the tub) or if he does something like bite or kick. When he gets spankings they aren't hard... they don't need to be with him... he knows that the idea of the spanking means business.
    Most of the time he gets time out for misbehavior... like when he throws tantrums or won't listen.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:22 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• It depends on the child. Different techniques work for different children.
    From my own experience it does up until a certain age. For example what can you take away from a 2 year old, honestly, and when you take it is that really going to teach them anything?
    Time outs don't work when they are really little because they don't understand them. When they get out you can't exactly talk to them, have a conversation with them and explain what they did why it was wrong etc.
    mrsbean08

Answer by mrsbean08 at 11:36 PM on Jun. 13, 2010