Do any of you have issues with prosperity preaching?

If so what is the issue you have and if you do not, then how do you feel about paying your tithes before you pay anything else, even if it means you go without groceries or utilities on the verge of being cut off because you want to make sure you pay your tithes first, this is my issue with a lot of the prosperity preaching I have heard, and it has weighed heavily on my heart that this is taken out of context when preached.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:18 PM on Jun. 13, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• the thing about the tithes is that it was aimed at the preachers..... the preachers who went around to the different churches and got paid for their services but kept all of the money and didn't give anything back to the church. hmm, i wonder why the preachers don't dwell on that? a modern day example would be the big mega-church preacher who dresses in the designer suits and drives the mercedes and lives in a 15,000 square foot mansion. they are profiting off of God's word and that is what they were trying to deal with way back then too. but the preachers seem to like to emphasize the 10% part without the history behind it.... i wonder why lol. but anyway, back to the concern about tithing. tithing does not have to be only money. you can tithe time and skills also. taking time out of your schedule to do mission work or things for the church count just as much as money

princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:27 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Yeah I have heard this preached,"Sow that money seed, and you will be blessed with more money!" You cannot buy your salvation. Yahshua says you cannot serve money and Yahweh but wolves will keep you enslaved to money. I realized real quick that it was all about money in sunday churches. That is why Yahshua called them thieves and robbers. Blessings..

Daphna28

Answer by Daphna28 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• Tithe was started by God in the bible, right down to the 10% part. It wasn't started as a way to pay preachers. However, I agree that many churches (especially, it seems, the more well-off ones) are a bit greedy about what they use it for. Such as deciding to prioritize the carpeting in the sanctuary as opposed to feeding the hungry.
    My husband and I always try to pay our tithe first, no matter what, but we are blessed in that we are able to pay, even if we skipped one week, we try to pay both week's the next time. But sometimes things are too tight, and God knows that we'll give what we can and follow His instructions to take care of the needs of our family.
    Prosperity teaching, especially the way that some of the bug-name preachers do it (you probably know who I mean) is not Biblical. The bible teaches that there's nothing wrong with being rich or poor, but it depends on what you do with what you HAVE, no matter what it is.
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 10:42 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• lol sorry. *BIG-name*!
    MamaRae85

Answer by MamaRae85 at 10:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• who said tithing was started as a way to pay preachers? lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:47 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I guess my issue is more that you are more blessed or more favored if you are tithing, that is the message I have trouble with. I do not tithe, I do give though, but tithing would be impossible for us, as we are living paycheck to paycheck now, and to tithe we would have to either go without groceries or have utilities cut off, but I get the message that my faith is lacking if I think God will not provide if I was paying my tithe, this is where my heart is telling me this is wrong. I do not believe God wants us to be dumb in our giving, and give our bill money or grocery money which I have heard that if you are not tithing first, then God doesnt want your leftovers, and that you should worry about bills second to your tithes, this is where my issue is.
    Anonymous

• I don't believe this is the kind of "prosperity" God is concerned with bestowing on us.....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 11:34 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• A tithe is giving back to God what is already His. He gives us the 90%. He doesn't need the money, we're to give it to show our faithfulness and commitment to God. If you're in God's will and doing what He asks of you, you won't lack for food, clothing or shelter. You may not be able to eat out all of the time and you might have to eat sandwiches a lot, you won't be able to buy name brand and might have to shop at thrift stores, and you might not live in the biggest house on the block, but God promises to take care of those that love Him and that He loves. Luke says to "consider the lilies how they toil not, neither do they spin" (not exact quote) but God still clothes them and takes care of them. If you're saved you're His child. "Take no thought over what ye shall eat or what ye shall drink or wherewith ye shall be clothed." (again, not exact! lol)
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:43 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• (continued)...The problem is most people can't live without a full fridge and their favorite snack, or the ability to buy brand new clothes when they want. There's too much pride to not live in a big house full of fancy "stuff" and people don't rely on God, but on their job and their abilities. THAT is why tithing seems scary and ridiculous. Until you realize that your job and your income is given to you by God, you won't understand tithing and giving.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:44 PM on Jun. 13, 2010

• I get what you are saying but I do not agree. I know so many people who believe fully in god and are suffering.
    WonderWoman1979

Answer by WonderWoman1979 at 1:28 AM on Jun. 14, 2010